Chicago Days Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
No matter what anyone thinks of Lavin as a coach, he did assemble a credible team of assistants, and if you remember, left money on the table, taking less than offered, to hire a quality staff. For anyone who gave NR all the credit for recruiting the senior Lavin inherited, they actually had more talent under Norm as juniors, when they had senior Anthony Mason Jr. Still, the best NR could do was squeak to an NIT bid and a first round horror show exit. Guys then gave Dunlap all the credit instead of Lavin. While there could be truth to Dunlap's share of the success, Lavin for his part hired a top notch bench assistant. Dunlap for his part, fell apart when Lavin was on sick leave, and nearly had a total mutiny on his hands. As hopeless as we thought things were when Lavin took over, Mullin would have to go 32-2 in the Big East just to equal Lavin's mediocrity.

Yea, its all old news, and its Friday, and nothing exciting about playing Villanova when you are 0-5 our of the gates.

Hard to believe we are re-litigating the Lavin thing. That may be more pathetic than being 0 and 5 with 0 for who knows coming soon. This is right out of the scene in the Ten Commandments where Edward G. Robinson is exhorting the Hebrews to go back to the Pharaoh, except with Class of 72 playing Robinson's part.

Who posted the UCLA article that has probably been re-posted here about a dozen times over the years? What constitutes a failure at UCLA is more successful than our best NCAA years in our history.

Thanks for highlighting that fact Beast!  While Steve Lavin was "failing" miserably at UCLA by going to the sweet 16 or better 5 times in 5 years, Lou Carnesecca went to ONE sweet 16 and one Final 4 in his five best years and became a Hall of Fame coach and had an arena named after him! 

Lou Carnesecca's  best  five years as St. John's cosch:
1982–83 28–5 NCAA Sweet Sixteen
1983–84 18–12 NCAA First Round
1984–85      31–4 NCAA Final Four
1985–86 31–5 NCAA Second Round
1986–87 21–9 NCAA Second Round

Louie also took the Redmen to the NCAA Regional Finals in the team's 21-11 '78-79 Season. I believe they lost to Dean Smith's NC team when Carolina choked the clock with their hated 'Four-Corners' tactics. Close game i think.
Thing about Louie is he did it, most years, with what we'd now call '3*' players, 'x-pat transfers', and with the occasional stacked team. The '79 NCAA Regional Final was with a team of juniors / seniors i think.
I still recall the pic in the Daily News back page of Louie, putting away the balls for the year.
salty dog Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Guys were killing Looie back then too, but their was no forum. Even Peter Vecsey, in the Post, killed Louie among other reporters.. In hindsight Looie has become the greatest.
Knight Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Looie was a real character, but I always heard that John Kresse was the real Xs and Os guy.
Beast of the East Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
These comments have me thinking.

I've been to a bunch of red white pregames. If they are reflective of our game attending fan base, outside of students, the average age of those attending daily mass might be younger. Our attendance is slightly better, though.
Knight Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
These comments have me thinking.

I've been to a bunch of red white pregames. If they are reflective of our game attending fan base, outside of students, the average age of those attending daily mass might be younger. Our attendance is slightly better, though.

Hey, I resemble that remark.
LI Joe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
they lost to Penn down in n carolina. we beat duke and penn beat n carolina earlier in tourney (black sunday down there). we were 10th seed and penn was 9th. they only had 10 per region. besides the carolina schools the seeds were:

gtown 3
syracuse 4
uconn 5
rutgers 6
temple 7
iona 8

this was the magic vs bird year in final 4.

our margins of victory were

temple 5
duke 2
rutgers 2

lost to penn by 2

i googled and wikipedia had details.
Enright Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
It would have great to make the final four after supposedly being the last team invited but they would have meant playing MSU with Magic who humiliated Penn.
Section3 Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
It doesn't take a ton of analysis to figure out that you are likely to lose if the guy that takes the majority of your 3s per game is hitting them at 15% in conference play, and 19% overall. Add to that the loss of Lovett, and I guess that's why Mullin isn't surprised at this putrid start. Not a word from anyone as to how Shamorie went from a pretty good shooter as a freshman to the lowest % shooter on this shooting challenged team. If he had not regressed big time, this team would be 2 and 3 at worst in conference. This to me is the only explanation for how a team that replaced the much ridiculed Ellison and Mussini with 2 legitimate Big East players is under-performing to this level. Sophomore jinx? Injury? I can't say, but I do know that going from 37% to 15% is hard to fathom and may not have been seen before.

Agree. Have yet to see anyone ask Mullin about Ponds’ shooting during post game pressers. Don’t get it. Biggest question to be asked.
fun Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Agree. Have yet to see anyone ask Mullin about Ponds’ shooting during post game pressers. Don’t get it. Biggest question to be asked.

What revealing thing would you expect him to say? He's shooting poorly, we hope he shoots better? He's a better shooter than he's been recently, he's in a slump, hopefully he comes out of it, and the sooner the better The good news is It doesn't seem to affect the rest of his game. Good for him.

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.