Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: A Lot of Chatter

A Lot of Chatter 6 days 16 hours ago #292239

  • Chicago Days
  • Chicago Days's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 2163
  • Thank you received: 1090
I’m stunned. Hoping it’s a bump and not a chasm. Rice may not be ‘the answer’ or a ‘savior’, but imo he would be a major addition on several levels and would also ‘right-size’ the ship versus our major competitors.
Don’t understand how if Mitch doesn’t want to reengage into the program, he can stand in the way of a necessary staff change.
I don’t want to cast negative vibes at the guy because he’s a HOFer and should be a great asset to any program, but this calls for clarity and closure and soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: frank61

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Lot of Chatter 6 days 15 hours ago #292241

  • NCJohnnie
  • NCJohnnie's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 999
  • Thank you received: 974
Sorry guys, I have been a little disconnected the last two days. Did something factual come out that either Rice hire is not going to happen or Mitch is being uncooperative? If I missed it, my bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: frank61

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Lot of Chatter 6 days 15 hours ago #292243

  • Chicago Days
  • Chicago Days's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 2163
  • Thank you received: 1090

NCJohnnie wrote: Sorry guys, I have been a little disconnected the last two days. Did something factual come out that either Rice hire is not going to happen or Mitch is being uncooperative? If I missed it, my bad.


Not sure, but I think a buzz / rumor from the cognoscenti of our Board that ‘an opening’ on the Staff has to occur before ‘rice’ can be added to the menu...which seems to point to some intransigence or reluctance on Mitch’s part but that’s total speculation on my part.
That’s all the ‘tea-leaf reading’ I’m capable of.
Enjoy the beach, NCJ.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NCJohnnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Chicago Days.

A Lot of Chatter 6 days 15 hours ago #292244

  • rawdognyc
  • rawdognyc's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1065
  • Thank you received: 95
If you can't devote the time you need to to be an assistant coach in the college game, then perhaps you shouldn't be an assistant in college. Hard for me to believe a retired hall of fame player has that hunger to be an assistant. Maybe if he had ties to the school like the head coach does it would be different. I think the special assistant role is best for him.
#whereswaldo
#wheresmitch
The following user(s) said Thank You: cappy105, Chicago Days

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Lot of Chatter 6 days 15 hours ago #292245

  • Ray Morgan
  • Ray Morgan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1243
  • Thank you received: 115
So to recap the transition from July to August. Enthusiasm is running high as Heron is being discussed as half of the nation's best backcourt, and the Rice hire, with his excellent NJ contacts, considered a near certainty. An important hire, it would seem, as there are more local 4 and 5 stars that seem to be in the mix, several of who played for Rice.

So now it's August and the latest tweet is casting doubt on the Rice hire, and Heron's eligibility, based on the NCAA'S track record, has to be considered a longshot. Fortunately, as a Mets fan, I have a lot of experience dealing with this. Always hope for next year, based on the return of a few really good players and a couple that are touted to be good. Then next season comes, and it's the s.o.s. year after year. Will November bring hope and February bring heartache to SJU fans? I have no idea, as the outlook changes from week to week here, and it's the slow season.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Lot of Chatter 6 days 15 hours ago #292246

  • Chicago Days
  • Chicago Days's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 2163
  • Thank you received: 1090

Ray Morgan wrote: So to recap the transition from July to August. Enthusiasm is running high as Heron is being discussed as half of the nation's best backcourt, and the Rice hire, with his excellent NJ contacts, considered a near certainty. An important hire, it would seem, as there are more local 4 and 5 stars that seem to be in the mix, several of who played for Rice.

So now it's August and the latest tweet is casting doubt on the Rice hire, and Heron's eligibility, based on the NCAA'S track record, has to be considered a longshot. Fortunately, as a Mets fan, I have a lot of experience dealing with this. Always hope for next year, based on the return of a few really good players and a couple that are touted to be good. Then next season comes, and it's the s.o.s. year after year. Will November bring hope and February bring heartache to SJU fans? I have no idea, as the outlook changes from week to week here, and it's the slow season.


Hear-hear. Well-said, Ray!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray Morgan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Lot of Chatter 6 days 15 hours ago #292247

  • usguard
  • usguard's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3971
  • Thank you received: 116
yes it does call for clarity,his HOF status should not preclude an investigation to what exactly is going on, his duties and if he has accomplished goals that have been set for his position. Not knowing what has transpired seems the above would be necessary before bring on another staff member like Rice who would have plenty of desire and connections to help SJU
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Lot of Chatter 6 days 13 hours ago #292251

  • Class of 72
  • Class of 72's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 6407
  • Thank you received: 1450

usguard wrote: yes it does call for clarity,his HOF status should not preclude an investigation to what exactly is going on, his duties and if he has accomplished goals that have been set for his position. Not knowing what has transpired seems the above would be necessary before bring on another staff member like Rice who would have plenty of desire and connections to help SJU


The mayor of New York City is entitled to a salary of $258,750 a year. It's a job that is off the charts harder than that of both Mitch Richmond and Slice. Right now the salaries of these two slackers is costing more than that of the mayors of NYC, L.A. and Chicago combined.
Not one program in America is spending that kind of money on no-show jobs yet we are discussing the budgetary feasibility of hiring Mike Rice. If this were a publicly funded university heads would be rolling starting with the President who supposedly is fiscally conscious.

At St. John's nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom in Salem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

At St. John's nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

A Lot of Chatter 6 days 4 hours ago #292253

  • RedStormNC
  • RedStormNC's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1280
  • Thank you received: 233
Maybe totally off, but just a thought...

Mullin probably had pressure to consider Rice vs truly wanting him.

At same time, he's probably loyal to a fault with Richmond, maybe more so than his loyalty to the program.

So, he goes through the motions to interview and consider Rice, to appease many but knows he's not going to cut his BFF for not doing basic asst jobs like recruit...or even demote his BFF and ask him to take a cut to help his vision of getting program back.

Admin not taking on too much salary and #'s can't work unless someone caves in.

Or not.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Lot of Chatter 6 days 4 hours ago #292255

  • MarkRedman
  • MarkRedman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3024
  • Thank you received: 208

RedStormNC wrote: Maybe totally off, but just a thought...

Mullin probably had pressure to consider Rice vs truly wanting him.

At same time, he's probably loyal to a fault with Richmond, maybe more so than his loyalty to the program.

So, he goes through the motions to interview and consider Rice, to appease many but knows he's not going to cut his BFF for not doing basic asst jobs like recruit...or even demote his BFF and ask him to take a cut to help his vision of getting program back.

Admin not taking on too much salary and #'s can't work unless someone caves in.

Or not.....


CM needs to step up as the head coach and do the right thing for his program. He needs to look in the mirror and recognize that MR isn't pulling his weight. Either MR needs to be told and required to be an active full time assistant coach or have his choice of moving into an advisory role or leaving the program, so that we can hire someone who has the ability and desire to coach and recruit at a high level.

That's what a real head coach should and would do. Let's see how this plays out. I'm hoping that CM will do the right thing here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, gonzalo, frank61, Delaware, Class of 72, Tom in Salem, Patrick C ripdumaine, Chicago Days

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth