Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2019 NY Mets

2019 NY Mets 2 weeks 1 day ago #361675

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 1481
A Met fan since ‘62 and rooted for both until the Steinbrenner/Martin nonsense and the Reggie Jackson crap about being “the straw.” Loved Thurman and will NEVER understand how he is not in the HOF. Eventually stopped watching AL ball completely over the DH. Hate it with a passion to this day although it is largely irrelevant to “no small ball, every swing a home run swing” modern baseball. And, generally pitchers don’t pitch deep enough into games anymore to make the old decision making a factor. Anyway, rooted for the Yanks in the playoffs this year and would love for the Mets to even approach the success the Yankees continue to have.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2019 NY Mets 2 weeks 1 day ago #361678

• MainMan
  • Thank you received: 371
Have Zero animosity towards the Yanks.

But I can’t stand newer Yankees fans, those who have only known success from 96 to the present. They’re smug. They’re entitled. They’re insufferable.

Yankee fans who have suffered through 65 to 75 or the mid 80s to early 90s have my ch better perspective.

2019 NY Mets 2 weeks 1 day ago #361679

• mjmaherjr
  • mjmaherjr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 3844

MainMan wrote: Have Zero animosity towards the Yanks.

But I can’t stand newer Yankees fans, those who have only known success from 96 to the present. They’re smug. They’re entitled. They’re insufferable.

Yankee fans who have suffered through 65 to 75 or the mid 80s to early 90s have my ch better perspective.

So to summarize and shorten it we have a " Stump Merrill Rule " If you were a fan during his time you are ok if you were born after you are dead to Main Man :)

2019 NY Mets 2 weeks 1 day ago #361722

• SJU61982
  • Thank you received: 908

mjmaherjr wrote:

MainMan wrote: Have Zero animosity towards the Yanks.

So to summarize and shorten it we have a " Stump Merrill Rule " If you were a fan during his time you are ok if you were born after you are dead to Main Man :)

Well, my first Yankees game was Opening Day of 1988. I was five years old. Haven't missed an Opening Day since.

Roberto Kelly was my favorite player as a kid. I cried the day they traded him away, and considered (for about 2 minutes) becoming a Mets fan then (I was 10). Shows you what I know, since that trade worked out great.

2019 NY Mets 2 weeks 1 day ago #361723

• SJUFAN2
  • Thank you received: 481
Really good hire by the Mets today. Beltran is a quality person and a terrific baseball mind.

That doesn't guarantee he will win at the levels fans expect, but he's not going to let his ego get in the way of working with Brodie and his players will love him.

2019 NY Mets 2 weeks 1 day ago #361724

• SJU85
  • Thank you received: 523

SJUFAN2 wrote: Really good hire by the Mets today. Beltran is a quality person and a terrific baseball mind.

That doesn't guarantee he will win at the levels fans expect, but he's not going to let his ego get in the way of working with Brodie and his players will love him.

I came to this thread looking for Met fan comments on the Beltran hire. Thank you.

I love Beltran. I was pissed when the Yankees passed on him when he was a free agent the first time especially after he went and told them he would accept less money and one less year (6 at $100M) than what the Mets were offering, which he wound up accepting.

When he was playing, you always heard how he mentored and served as a role model for younger players and had a great baseball mind. I hate the Mets (always was a Yankee fan but didn't start hating the Mets until 85/86 when everyone got on the bandwagon. People I knew who didn't know anything about baseball all of a sudden wanted to go the Met games, it was the "in thing" to do), but wish Beltran luck as he really seems to be one of the genuine good guys with a love and passion for the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JackofVirginia, Logen

2019 NY Mets 1 week 6 days ago #361804

• Beast of the East
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2808
Not as concerned with Beltran as a rookie manager as I would be in other sports. Beltran knows baseball, the NY market, NY media, and should be a great influence over players. In today's game, with so many latino players, having a Latino manager of the Mets is long overdue.

2019 NY Mets 1 week 19 hours ago #362629

• Spocky Ramone
  • Thank you received: 308
Pete Alonso ROY!

Monster start to a hopefully stellar career! Personal hardware is great, hoping he gets some team-oriented bling in the near future!
I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace; that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress - K.I.T.T., “1776”

2019 NY Mets 1 week 7 hours ago #362649

• SJUFAN2
  • Thank you received: 481

Spocky Ramone wrote: Pete Alonso ROY!

Monster start to a hopefully stellar career! Personal hardware is great, hoping he gets some team-oriented bling in the near future!

Good guy and easy to root for, even for a Yankee fan. Congrats Pete, well deserved!

2019 NY Mets 1 week 4 hours ago #362682

• Beast of the East
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2808
I wonder what the odds are of Alonso ever hitting 50 home runs again. I mean he is crazy strong without being ripped, and hits bombs, but still.

Congratulations to him. He was a reason to see Mets play in person all by himself. His kid-like enthusiasm that was infectious make the Mets a very easy team to root for.

Really wish management would realize that opening their wallets would put us in WS contention by holding onto Wheeler and strengthening the bullpen.

Moderators: espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsmkras99OhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight