Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What is your favorite steakhouse cut?

What is your favorite steakhouse cut? 5 months 2 weeks ago #353317

• Moose
  • Thank you received: 3152
I'm most disturbed by the 'lack of steak people'
The following user(s) said Thank You: kranmars, JohnnyFan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What is your favorite steakhouse cut? 5 months 2 weeks ago #353325

• MainMan
  • Thank you received: 394

Moose wrote: I'm most disturbed by the 'lack of steak people'

I've always found steak kind of boring.
If I want beef, I tend to veer towards Paul's favorite: brisket, bbq, short ribs, etc.

Last edit: by MainMan.

What is your favorite steakhouse cut? 5 months 2 weeks ago #353335

• austour
  • Thank you received: 879

MainMan wrote:

If I want beef, I tend to veer towards Paul's favorite: brisket, bbq, short ribs, etc.

You mean something that shows some cooking technique? That's why if I have a craving I make it at home. Who's the guy on here who's brother owns those steak houses? I'm sure he'd beg to differ.

What is your favorite steakhouse cut? 5 months 2 weeks ago #353344

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 3194
You haven't lived until you have tasted some tongue.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 

Last edit: by Class of 72.

What is your favorite steakhouse cut? 5 months 2 weeks ago #353348

• Paul Massell
  • Thank you received: 1986

Class of 72 wrote: You haven't lived until you have tasted some tongue.

Mexican friends of mine go crazy for "tacos de lengua" (tongue tacos). My family went with their family to their favorite authentic restaurant and when they mentioned "de lengua" to their Kids they practically start dancing they get so excited. I obliged and it was tasty but other than being a little more chewy didn't taste different to me.
“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr

What is your favorite steakhouse cut? 5 months 2 weeks ago #353352

• Paul Massell

austour wrote:

MainMan wrote:

You mean something that shows some cooking technique? That's why if I have a craving I make it at home. Who's the guy on here who's brother owns those steak houses? I'm sure he'd beg to differ.

I was in Phoenix about 15 years ago and a friend wanted to go to Durants which is the landmark steakhouse there. So we go and each get a filet. They plop these unusually tall blobs of meat in front of each of us. It was bright read except for top and bottom which had sear marks. The meat was tender but otherwise I would categorize as "boring" except that I was concerned abut the safety of eating it, especially since the place was so dated and not in a cool, hipster way...

What is your favorite steakhouse cut? 5 months 2 weeks ago #353355

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 3757
Paul Massell wrote: I was in Phoenix about 15 years ago and a friend wanted to go to Durants which is the landmark steakhouse there. So we go and each get a filet. They plop these unusually tall blobs of meat in front of each of us. It was bright read except for top and bottom which had sear marks. The meat was tender but otherwise I would categorize as "boring" except that I was concerned abut the safety of eating it, especially since the place was so dated and not in a cool, hipster way...

I guess you either love steak or you don't - I am definitely in the love it category. Filet Mignon is incredibly tender but mildly flavored and needs a topping (I compare it to a mild fish like halibut). I have five or six toppings I use when I cook a filet; my favorite is a pesto made with olive oil, garlic, parmigiano-reggiano cheese, kalamata olives, pine nuts & fresh basil. Cooking it on the Green Egg, which is a combination smoker & grill allows you to cook it for 15 minutes or so w/o overcooking it and leaving all the juices in. Apologies if TMI but I love talking about food, especially grilling streaks and other meats.

What is your favorite steakhouse cut? 5 months 2 weeks ago #353357

• austour

NCJohnnie wrote: Paul Massell wrote: I was in Phoenix about 15 years ago and a friend wanted to go to Durants which is the landmark steakhouse there. So we go and each get a filet. They plop these unusually tall blobs of meat in front of each of us. It was bright read except for top and bottom which had sear marks. The meat was tender but otherwise I would categorize as "boring" except that I was concerned abut the safety of eating it, especially since the place was so dated and not in a cool, hipster way...

I guess you either love steak or you don't - I am definitely in the love it category. Filet Mignon is incredibly tender but mildly flavored and needs a topping (I compare it to a mild fish like halibut). I have five or six toppings I use when I cook a filet; my favorite is a pesto made with olive oil, garlic, parmigiano-reggiano cheese, kalamata olives, pine nuts & fresh basil. Cooking it on the Green Egg, which is a combination smoker & grill allows you to cook it for 15 minutes or so w/o overcooking it and leaving all the juices in. Apologies if TMI but I love talking about food, especially grilling streaks and other meats.

Believe or not I've been serving Filet sandwiches at my Super Bowl party for years(small rolls, thin sliced after roasted on the grill, small portion size) and top it with a Basil/Cilantro/Mint Chimmichurri. I eat them for the sauce.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moose, NCJohnnie

Last edit: by austour.

What is your favorite steakhouse cut? 5 months 2 weeks ago #353358

• austour

Paul Massell wrote:

Class of 72 wrote: You haven't lived until you have tasted some tongue.

Mexican friends of mine go crazy for "tacos de lengua" (tongue tacos). My family went with their family to their favorite authentic restaurant and when they mentioned "de lengua" to their Kids they practically start dancing they get so excited. I obliged and it was tasty but other than being a little more chewy didn't taste different to me.

Yeah it's always sitting there in the "meat bowl" at the Taco Stands all around LA as well (along with the cabeza de cabra) but the Pastor and Asada at those taco stands are questionable enough (but so effing good) without treading into weird meat territory. Of course the Jewish side of my family has their tongue in an entirely different style.

What is your favorite steakhouse cut? 5 months 2 weeks ago #353363

• Paul Massell

NCJohnnie wrote: I guess you either love steak or you don't - I am definitely in the love it category. Filet Mignon is incredibly tender but mildly flavored and needs a topping (I compare it to a mild fish like halibut). I have five or six toppings I use when I cook a filet; my favorite is a pesto made with olive oil, garlic, parmigiano-reggiano cheese, kalamata olives, pine nuts & fresh basil. Cooking it on the Green Egg, which is a combination smoker & grill allows you to cook it for 15 minutes or so w/o overcooking it and leaving all the juices in. Apologies if TMI but I love talking about food, especially grilling streaks and other meats.

I like filet but I just thought in that case the took the "raw" too literally.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NCJohnnie

Moderators: espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsmkras99OhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight