Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2020 US News & World Report College Rankings - St. John's drops

2020 US News & World Report College Rankings - St. John's drops 1 week 1 day ago #357636

  • Andrew
  • Andrew's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5311
  • Thank you received: 850

otis wrote: Like it or not the US News rankings drive college admissions.

Its pretty simple: the better the ranking, The more applicants.; The higher the ranking, the better the applicants.

Many schools have one or more Administrators who are charged with gaining the US New Rankings.

Below is a 2014 news article entitled "How to Game the College Rankings" which details how Northeastern University executed one of the most dramatic turnarounds in US News rankings which has in turn enhanced the schools academic footprint, its applicant pool and endowment.

www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2014/08/26/h...he-college-rankings/

see also:

www.wbur.org/news/2014/09/09/northeaster...llege-ranking-system


Florida State appears to be slowly pulling a Northeastern

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2020 US News & World Report College Rankings - St. John's drops 1 week 5 hours ago #357652

  • Beast of the East
  • Beast of the East's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 10872
  • Thank you received: 2685

Andrew wrote:

otis wrote: Like it or not the US News rankings drive college admissions.

Its pretty simple: the better the ranking, The more applicants.; The higher the ranking, the better the applicants.

Many schools have one or more Administrators who are charged with gaining the US New Rankings.

Below is a 2014 news article entitled "How to Game the College Rankings" which details how Northeastern University executed one of the most dramatic turnarounds in US News rankings which has in turn enhanced the schools academic footprint, its applicant pool and endowment.

www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2014/08/26/h...he-college-rankings/

see also:

www.wbur.org/news/2014/09/09/northeaster...llege-ranking-system


Florida State appears to be slowly pulling a Northeastern


I have to ask the right people about this, but it appears that St.. John's is not strategically focused on the metrics, some of which can be manipulated, simply to climb in the rankings.

Last year I spent a couple of hours with the Dean of Professional Studies and was given a tour by her of some of the new facilities to train students in homeland security and cybersecurity and other fields of study. She is incredibly impressive and down to earth and another sign in the school's uptick in hiring quality leaders. Governmental agencies are recruiting our students because of these programs.

Tobin school of Business was given a major facelift and investment in facilities, and the new edifice is visually stunning after sundown.

Successful initiatives to attract Catholic high school students have worked. Any catholic hs kid applying to st. John's automatically receives a $2500 per year scholarship with lots more based on academic prowess. Last year 20+ Chaminade grads chose St. John's and 25+ St. Anthony grads did the same.

With our mission to the poor, we will always be more challenged than most schools in terms of retention rate and 4 year grad rates. These kids are often burdened economically and socially in ways that most of us could not imagine. Think of Rysheed Jordan's family circumstances. Every time we graduate a kid from those types of situations is a reason for every alum to feel proud. Of course overall that mission drags down rankings, but what's more important in the big picture?

Not saying there isn't room for disagreement with sju leadership but it is abundantly clear that Gempeshaw has invested in academic improvements that are not evident in highly suspect rankings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fuchsia, Jnaw17, Andrew, Dan V

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2020 US News & World Report College Rankings - St. John's drops 6 days 5 hours ago #357715

  • RedStormNC
  • RedStormNC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1970
  • Thank you received: 1054
Thanks Beast.

No doubt, lots of positives over last few years and it was noticeable as I went on the admissions info session and campus tour w/ my daughter.

Still, I believe any national university is at least in part focused on their national reputation, even if one way is based on an ranking list from USNWR that can be perceived in flawed or biased in methodology. My daughters counselor was on the other side at college admissions and admin for 20+ years at 5 or 6 schools. All well known names both public & private (including Loyola, catholic university which coincidentally we do plan to visit). She told the parents that it's a flat out lie if a school or admissions counselor says they dont focus on rankings, student need etc. Colleges are businesses, and no one wants to be perceived as inferior. I can tell that at the St. John's info session my daughter and I sat in, they shared quite a few other "stats" like being 2nd largest catholic college (next to DePaul (who is 50+ places spots higher on same list). Also cited the highly ranked law school, increasing SAT ranges etc. So, while it may not be a strategic focus, I'd bet people in admin were eagerly awaiting the ranking to be published and disappointed to see the ranking drop vs. saying they don't care or didn't look.

All that said, they are doing good things and I'm proud of their progress. It's very competitive and for every rank a school moves up, that means someone above them has to go backwards. Hard when you're all trying to go forward.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, Beast of the East, Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by RedStormNC.

2020 US News & World Report College Rankings - St. John's drops 6 days 2 hours ago #357727

  • Beast of the East
  • Beast of the East's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 10872
  • Thank you received: 2685

RedStormNC wrote: Thanks Beast.

No doubt, lots of positives over last few years and it was noticeable as I went on the admissions info session and campus tour w/ my daughter.

Still, I believe any national university is at least in part focused on their national reputation, even if one way is based on an ranking list from USNWR that can be perceived in flawed or biased in methodology. My daughters counselor was on the other side at college admissions and admin for 20+ years at 5 or 6 schools. All well known names both public & private (including Loyola, catholic university which coincidentally we do plan to visit). She told the parents that it's a flat out lie if a school or admissions counselor says they dont focus on rankings, student need etc. Colleges are businesses, and no one wants to be perceived as inferior. I can tell that at the St. John's info session my daughter and I sat in, they shared quite a few other "stats" like being 2nd largest catholic college (next to DePaul (who is 50+ places spots higher on same list). Also cited the highly ranked law school, increasing SAT ranges etc. So, while it may not be a strategic focus, I'd bet people in admin were eagerly awaiting the ranking to be published and disappointed to see the ranking drop vs. saying they don't care or didn't look.

All that said, they are doing good things and I'm proud of their progress. It's very competitive and for every rank a school moves up, that means someone above them has to go backwards. Hard when you're all trying to go forward.


I don't disagree with anything you've said. But I don't think it's one of those things where you anxiously await the results if you aren't playing to the metrics used to create those results.

Clearly if SJU was overwhelmingly focused on rankings they would aggressively pursue those metrics, perhaps at the expense of money spent on grants and scholarships. I'm going to guess SJU has chosen to use assets to attract better students via scholarships and also be very generous to poorer Pell eligible students in providing a lower cost college education. I'm going to see what I can find out from SJU administrators and those who are plugged into leadership.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Class of 72, RedStormNC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2020 US News & World Report College Rankings - St. John's drops 4 days 23 hours ago #357786

  • RedStormNC
  • RedStormNC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1970
  • Thank you received: 1054
Thanks Beast... will be interesting if you discover anything there.

Back to this years methodology, I read one of the notable changes this year was in evaluating schools’ six-year graduation rates. This year, the USNWR began giving weight to % of first-generation college students graduating. It also used gov't data on the % of students w/ Pell Grants for colleges that don’t report it themselves.

While these might be small % weightings compared to most heavily weighted criteria, it's hard to chase a moving target.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

US News 2020 National University rankings 4 days 18 hours ago #357798

  • plandome4
  • plandome4's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 439
  • Thank you received: 24
# 179 !!!!!!!!!!
Unreal......if I only knew then what I knew now I would have never attended this school. Don't get me wrong I love the school and the teams BUT come on. As an alumni this is nothing short of a embarrassment. We drop year over year. If we had not tied at #179 with mighty Gallaudet University we would be in the 180's.
Is the administration concerned, at all?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

US News 2020 National University rankings 4 days 16 hours ago #357800

  • simplyred
  • simplyred's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2739
  • Thank you received: 138
Alumnus
The following user(s) said Thank You: jerseyshorejohnny, Class of 72, ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2020 US News & World Report College Rankings - St. John's drops 4 days 16 hours ago #357801

  • Class of 72
  • Class of 72's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 7853
  • Thank you received: 3030
I think Beast is better tuned than most so I will defer to his opinion. The metrics may have changed and the number of schools submitting data may have increased. We are still middle of the pack as we have been over many years.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

US News 2020 National University rankings 4 days 16 hours ago #357803

  • Moose
  • Moose's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 9647
  • Thank you received: 2734

simplyred wrote: Alumnus


And that’s why we are 179 :silly:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Moose.

2020 US News & World Report College Rankings - St. John's drops 4 days 12 hours ago #357812

  • Beast of the East
  • Beast of the East's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 10872
  • Thank you received: 2685

Class of 72 wrote: I think Beast is better tuned than most so I will defer to his opinion. The metrics may have changed and the number of schools submitting data may have increased. We are still middle of the pack as we have been over many years.


One thing squarely within our mission and in alignment with the rankings is to provide better assistance to Pell eligible students to increase the odds for their success. Board members are concerned about this and JSJ could tell you about some great initiatives that some individuals have undertaken.

Clearly it serves no one any good to accept poorer students who may struggle with social conditions at home, have to work long hours at jobs to help their families, and who may be marginal students. If they fail to graduate, they lose, ate strapped with loans they can't repay, and our rankings and reputation suffers.

This can be addressable but like many things, requires money
The following user(s) said Thank You: Class of 72

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Beast of the East.
Moderators: espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsmkras99OhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight