Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: It is Oscar Time for 2019 Movies

It is Oscar Time for 2019 Movies 1 week 6 days ago #376330

• SJU61982
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1078
I can't get behind Rene Zellweger's win. She's not the problem with "Judy" (it's a pretty lousy movie across the board, IMO), but she didn't do anything to lift the awful material. I didn't see any of the other nominees, but if none of the 4 were better, then this was a really weak year for Best Actress, IMO.

Was thrilled for Elton and Bernie, of course, but I have a problem with giving a Best Song Oscar to a tune that's just played over the closing credits, so that the film can get a cheap nomination. The Best Song should be something that helps people understand the film, or help to move the story along. Usually, that's in a musical, but it doesn't have to be (Streets of Philadelphia is a good example of a Best Song that did this well in a non-musical).

That being said, Elton rocked the house with that performance. Easily the highlight of the show, IMO, but that could be personal bias at work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It is Oscar Time for 2019 Movies 1 week 6 days ago #376331

• Jack Williams
  • Thank you received: 1564
was pretty much pleased with the job the oscars did tonight. Parasite was my favorite movie in the bunch and I’m glad it won.

My only complaint would be I felt like Adam driver deserved best actor category. But Phoenix was amazing as the joker so I can’t say I’m too upset. Thought they did a great job overall

It is Oscar Time for 2019 Movies 1 week 5 days ago #376442

• BrooklynRed
  • BrooklynRed's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 204

Jack Williams wrote: was pretty much pleased with the job the oscars did tonight. Parasite was my favorite movie in the bunch and I’m glad it won.

My only complaint would be I felt like Adam driver deserved best actor category. But Phoenix was amazing as the joker so I can’t say I’m too upset. Thought they did a great job overall

Jack-agree on Adam Driver as he was doing something outside his usual performance. Phoenix's speech was a bit weird like his character so was he acting as Joker or just being himself. As to Parasite, I felt the violence at the end was over the top. Heard today HBO is commissioning a mini series of Parasite which could be good.

Just saw American Factory and enjoyed it. Feel for American factory workers--especially what automation is/will be doing to numbers.

Moderators: espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsmkras99OhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight