Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ

Marcellus Earlington 6 days 20 hours ago #372167

• BrooklynRed
  • Thank you received: 186

Rob wrote: I know folks connected to the Don Bosco program, where Marcellus played football and basketball in HS as many of you know. He apparently lived in that gym this summer and many others. Bosco folks rave about his work ethic, drive, commitment and intelligence. He has fully devoted himself to hoops, after spending a good chunk of his HS focusing on football where, as has been noted, he was a high major recruit. With his improvement this year, I think he will remain a hoops player throughout his college tenure and see where that goes. He was thought highly enough as a football player that he probably can play hoops for 4 years and then decide if he wants to pursue professional options on the hardwood or take a crack at football.

Similar to Greg Paulus of Duke where he played BB for 4 years and the went to Cuse and was their QB for his remaining year of eligibility (5 years with 4 in one sport).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Marcellus Earlington 6 days 20 hours ago #372169

• MJDinkins
  • Thank you received: 2197

Amaseinyourface wrote:

Anthony Mattia wrote: work on standing vertical so that the offensive rebounds are dunks instead of layups that are sometimes missed or blocked

He’ll never be a guy who finishes with dunks other then when left wide open. Just not gonna happen with his build and lack of length. He can absolutely get better at finishing though. Think poor-mans jayvaughn Pinkston is what his ceiling has become.

Agree. I'll never seem him as a guy who can grab an offensive rebound under the basket and then explode up for a dunk after gathering the carom.

Marcellus Earlington 6 days 20 hours ago #372170

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 2975

MJDinkins wrote:

Amaseinyourface wrote:

Anthony Mattia wrote: work on standing vertical so that the offensive rebounds are dunks instead of layups that are sometimes missed or blocked

He’ll never be a guy who finishes with dunks other then when left wide open. Just not gonna happen with his build and lack of length. He can absolutely get better at finishing though. Think poor-mans jayvaughn Pinkston is what his ceiling has become.

Agree. I'll never seem him as a guy who can grab an offensive rebound under the basket and then explode up for a dunk after gathering the carom.

I don't recall Paul Silas ever doing that but he was about as nasty as they came as an offensive rebounder and garbage man around the hoop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fuchsia

Marcellus Earlington 6 days 20 hours ago #372172

• MJDinkins
  • Thank you received: 2197

QueensBall wrote: What a great surprise Earlington has been for us. I don't know exactly what his ceiling is because what he's been doing this season is what I thought his ceiling would be. I don't have much to add except to pile on how appreciated he's been. One thing I really like about him is he doesn't let his offense affect his defense. Even if he miss FT's or a bunny he doesn't mope or fixate on his shot, etc. He seems to have one mode which is to play hard.

There was a play late in the game where he properly played Charlie Moore. He properly kept himself between Moore and the basket. He wouldn't allow Moore to drive on him and stayed at the proper distance where he could also contest Moore's jumper. He got low and moved his feet well enough to thwart Moore from driving and aptly got his hands up when Moore shot the short jumper (which he missed).
The following user(s) said Thank You: IDRAFT, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant

Marcellus Earlington 6 days 20 hours ago #372173

• Sherman, Sheridan & Grant
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 935

Amaseinyourface wrote: I see more than a complimentary role as an upperclassmen. All he does is produce. Keep putting the work in and he can be one of the tougher front court players in the BE in due time.

Thanks
I'm trying to recall SJU players who improved or became better than anticipated -
who were "pleasant surprises" -
perhaps Willie Glass, Jayson Williams. David Cain and...

Marcellus Earlington 6 days 19 hours ago #372179

• Knight
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1363
I just hope ME gives up on dribbling in a crowd in the key.

Marcellus Earlington 6 days 19 hours ago #372180

• weathermannyc
  • Thank you received: 197
He has made great progress. The work ethic isn't a surprise given the football background.

Hope he can focus on drives or moves with two dibbles and jump shots to 12-15 feet. Forget the threes and drives from the three point arc for now. Build this intermediate step and he will become someone who SHOULD be on the court for major minutes. Then, he can try to add to that foundation in the future.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, Amaseinyourface

Moderators: espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsmkras99OhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight