Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Cliff Omoruyi, 2020 6'11" C (Roselle N.J.)

Cliff Omoruyi, 2020 6'11" C (Roselle N.J.) 1 month 3 weeks ago #358133

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 2408

MarkRedman wrote: Rutgers "never had any ups"? - they were 31-0 and in the Final Four in 1976
They lost to Michigan in the Final Four and to UCLA in the third place game

That sounds like they ended on a down. . .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by L J S A. Reason: sp.

Cliff Omoruyi, 2020 6'11" C (Roselle N.J.) 1 month 3 weeks ago #358134

• MCNPA
  • Thank you received: 1623

MarkRedman wrote:

MCNPA wrote:

MarkRedman wrote:

MCNPA wrote: If Cliff chooses Rutgers, he needs an immediate psych evaluation. Rutgers is where to go to kill your career.

There's a better chance of my hair growing back than Cliff picking Rutgers even though they have recruited him hard for quite awhile. I usually agree with most of your posts but I beg to differ here. Steve Pikell has done a great job since taking over there and is slowing building a competitive program with some good young talent sprinkled with a few transfers. He also has a great staff, with Karl Hobbs, Brandin Knight and Greg "Shoes" Vetrone.

Don't get me wrong. They aren't competing for the NCAA tournament yet but they have improved a great deal and an NIT berth is definitely attainable in the near future.

Listen, SJU has had its ups and downs for sure. More downs than ups over last 30 years. Rutgers has never had any ups. I like Pikiell, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

Rutgers "never had any ups"? - they were 31-0 and in the Final Four in 1976

You found one “up” 43 years ago. My point still remains..
The following user(s) said Thank You: redken, sjc88

Cliff Omoruyi, 2020 6'11" C (Roselle N.J.) 1 month 3 weeks ago #358136

• MarkRedman
  • Thank you received: 1429

MCNPA wrote:

MarkRedman wrote:

MCNPA wrote:

MarkRedman wrote:

MCNPA wrote: If Cliff chooses Rutgers, he needs an immediate psych evaluation. Rutgers is where to go to kill your career.

There's a better chance of my hair growing back than Cliff picking Rutgers even though they have recruited him hard for quite awhile. I usually agree with most of your posts but I beg to differ here. Steve Pikell has done a great job since taking over there and is slowing building a competitive program with some good young talent sprinkled with a few transfers. He also has a great staff, with Karl Hobbs, Brandin Knight and Greg "Shoes" Vetrone.

Don't get me wrong. They aren't competing for the NCAA tournament yet but they have improved a great deal and an NIT berth is definitely attainable in the near future.

Listen, SJU has had its ups and downs for sure. More downs than ups over last 30 years. Rutgers has never had any ups. I like Pikiell, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

We'll agree to disagree this time
Rutgers has been down for a long time but they are an up and coming program
Pikiell has Rutgers moving in the right direction
Their record has improved each year and they beat 2 ranked teams last year
They are more competitive and not the bottom feeders that they used to be

Last edit: by MarkRedman.

Cliff Omoruyi, 2020 6'11" C (Roselle N.J.) 1 month 3 weeks ago #358142

• Logen
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1449

MarkRedman wrote:

MCNPA wrote:

MarkRedman wrote:

MCNPA wrote:

MarkRedman wrote:

Outside of football, which obviously is THE marquee sport, Rutgers has competed pretty well in the Big Ten led by wrestling, which the Big Ten absolutely dominates nationally. There, Rutgers had two national champions last year. As I said, most, if not all, all of the other sports have been competitive. Not sure from a basketball standpoint we have any reason to throw stones. Asserting that our mediocrity or worse is better than your mediocrity or worse over decades seems a futile argument. Rutgers has seriously upgraded their facilities and it has showed, again outside of football, which admittedly, is a very huge “outside.”

Cliff Omoruyi, 2020 6'11" C (Roselle N.J.) 1 month 3 weeks ago #358147

• MarkRedman
  • Thank you received: 1429

Logen wrote:

MarkRedman wrote:

MCNPA wrote:

MarkRedman wrote:

MCNPA wrote:

MarkRedman wrote:

Outside of football, which obviously is THE marquee sport, Rutgers has competed pretty well in the Big Ten led by wrestling, which the Big Ten absolutely dominates nationally. There, Rutgers had two national champions last year. As I said, most, if not all, all of the other sports have been competitive. Not sure from a basketball standpoint we have any reason to throw stones. Asserting that our mediocrity or worse is better than your mediocrity or worse over decades seems a futile argument. Rutgers has seriously upgraded their facilities and it has showed, again outside of football, which admittedly, is a very huge “outside.”

Truth be told, the major reason why the Big Ten recruited Rutgers and Maryland was to expand the Big Ten Network market into the Metro NY and DMV areas, which they have done exceedingly well. Rutgers has done exceptionally well in wrestling, as you mentioned, and some of the other "Olympic" sports, but is dreadful in football. They have done a great job of upgrading their facilities in recent years and should become more competitive in other sports when they starting receiving a full share of the Big Ten revenue in a couple of years. The basketball program was terrible when Eddie Jordan left but Steve Pikiel has it moving forward in the right direction. Fans of the program think an NIT bid is possible this season. Hopefully, they will prove to be right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJU85

Cliff Omoruyi, 2020 6'11" C (Roselle N.J.) 1 month 3 weeks ago #358148

• MCNPA
Rutgers has made the NCAA tournament 6 times in their entire history. SIX! SJU does not compare to Rutgers which is not a mediocre program. They’re one of the worst. The Big Ten teams feel that they are a drain on the schedule. I firmly believe that SJU makes too much of their “heyday” of 85’, but Rutgers is no comparison. I also don’t hope they get better.

Cliff Omoruyi, 2020 6'11" C (Roselle N.J.) 1 month 3 weeks ago #358167

• Logen
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1449

MCNPA wrote: Rutgers has made the NCAA tournament 6 times in their entire history. SIX! SJU does not compare to Rutgers which is not a mediocre program. They’re one of the worst. The Big Ten teams feel that they are a drain on the schedule. I firmly believe that SJU makes too much of their “heyday” of 85’, but Rutgers is no comparison. I also don’t hope they get better.

Sorry but "one of the worst" just doesn't hold water since Pikiel arrived; mediocre does. His record at Rutgers for his 3 years is 44-54 overall, 13-43 in the conference, 3-3 in the conference tournament. Ours for the same 3 years is 59-73 overall, 19-35 in the conference, 3-3 in the conference tournament, 0-1 in the NCAA. Fairly comparable. Our numbers are better but not overwhelmingly, so if Rutgers is "one of the worst" where do you place us?

Cliff Omoruyi, 2020 6'11" C (Roselle N.J.) 1 month 3 weeks ago #358169

• kred
  • Thank you received: 55

MarkRedman wrote:

MCNPA wrote:

MarkRedman wrote:

MCNPA wrote:

MarkRedman wrote:

Sounds like us

Cliff Omoruyi, 2020 6'11" C (Roselle N.J.) 1 month 3 weeks ago #358172

• MCNPA

Logen wrote:

MCNPA wrote: Rutgers has made the NCAA tournament 6 times in their entire history. SIX! SJU does not compare to Rutgers which is not a mediocre program. They’re one of the worst. The Big Ten teams feel that they are a drain on the schedule. I firmly believe that SJU makes too much of their “heyday” of 85’, but Rutgers is no comparison. I also don’t hope they get better.

Sorry but "one of the worst" just doesn't hold water since Pikiel arrived; mediocre does. His record at Rutgers for his 3 years is 44-54 overall, 13-43 in the conference, 3-3 in the conference tournament. Ours for the same 3 years is 59-73 overall, 19-35 in the conference, 3-3 in the conference tournament, 0-1 in the NCAA. Fairly comparable. Our numbers are better but not overwhelmingly, so if Rutgers is "one of the worst" where do you place us?

Besides Mullin’s last year we were one of the worst in our conference as well, but had success under previous coaches like Lavin etc.. I’m talking about Rutgers entire body of work since inception. It’s awful and they’re far from mediocre. I did enjoy shellacking their “mediocre” team last year though.

Cliff Omoruyi, 2020 6'11" C (Roselle N.J.) 1 month 3 weeks ago #358175

• Windy City Johnny Fan
  • Windy City Johnny Fan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 685
I mean if the "if you go to school X, you should have your head examined" negative recruiting tactic becomes viable, we're in trouble.
The following user(s) said Thank You: austour

Moderators: mkras99espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight