TOPIC: Ahmad Rand, PF, USC Salk JC

Ahmad Rand, PF, USC Salk JC 2 months 1 week ago #373903

• billthetruth
  • Thank you received: 261

Windy City Johnny Fan wrote:

MJDinkins wrote:

SJU61982 wrote:

Paultzman wrote: Zach B

Told St. John's coach Mike Anderson and assistant TJ Cleveland saw JUCO big man Ahmad Rand last night. Elite shot-blocker. #sjubb

A shot blocker is perfect for the kind of defense Anderson likes to play. It gives you some protection, if the press gets beat.

Rand seems to be a hustling, junkyard dog type. He's likely a garbage/junk man who cleans up misses around the rim. A high energy player.

I wouldn't look for much scoring from him, but he looks like he'll board and, of course, block and alter shots. He lead D-1 JUCO last season with 4.5 blocks per game, and currently leads the nation again with 4.3 blocks per game.

Obviously, I haven't witnessed him in a full game. I'm on the fence whether I'd extend a committable offer to him, as his numbers outside of rebounding and blocked shots are pedestrian. Maybe, he's an intangible player.
Maybe, he'll be replacing someone who is soon to leave. I don't know.

Let's also hope we're targeting a couple of the eligible freshman JUCO's.

I'm enjoying watching the transition of our recruiting strategy from 100% transfers to 100% JUCO's. Also, I'm being sarcastic, I'm not enjoying it.

thanks for that enlightening commentary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ahmad Rand, PF, USC Salk JC 2 months 1 week ago #373904

• L J S A
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2716

Windy City Johnny Fan wrote: I'm enjoying watching the transition of our recruiting strategy from 100% transfers to 100% JUCO's. Also, I'm being sarcastic, I'm not enjoying it.

Our Savior Lutheran is a juco?

And I suspect Josh Gray gets the nod over any juco big. But unless he says yes, this staff is going to keep exploring the junior college ranks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: billthetruth, SJU85, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, JohnnyFan

Ahmad Rand, PF, USC Salk JC 2 months 1 week ago #373910

• Windy City Johnny Fan
  • Thank you received: 707

billthetruth wrote:

MJDinkins wrote:

SJU61982 wrote:

Told St. John's coach Mike Anderson and assistant TJ Cleveland saw JUCO big man Ahmad Rand last night. Elite shot-blocker. #sjubb

A shot blocker is perfect for the kind of defense Anderson likes to play. It gives you some protection, if the press gets beat.

Rand seems to be a hustling, junkyard dog type. He's likely a garbage/junk man who cleans up misses around the rim. A high energy player.

I wouldn't look for much scoring from him, but he looks like he'll board and, of course, block and alter shots. He lead D-1 JUCO last season with 4.5 blocks per game, and currently leads the nation again with 4.3 blocks per game.

Obviously, I haven't witnessed him in a full game. I'm on the fence whether I'd extend a committable offer to him, as his numbers outside of rebounding and blocked shots are pedestrian. Maybe, he's an intangible player.

I'm enjoying watching the transition of our recruiting strategy from 100% transfers to 100% JUCO's. Also, I'm being sarcastic, I'm not enjoying it.

Happy to help! I just don't know how you evaluate these JUCO kids against the competition. Their stats are just random numbers on a page. We already have 2 JUCO's in this class, isn't that enough? These kids don't pan out all that frequently.

Ahmad Rand, PF, USC Salk JC 2 months 1 week ago #373931

• Andrew
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1007
With so many transfers and kids leaving early in today’s college basketball, I don’t mind some JUCO’s. They can compliment the transition that some Freshman need.

Ahmad Rand, PF, USC Salk JC 2 months 1 week ago #373933

• Making Plays
  • Thank you received: 550

billthetruth wrote:

MJDinkins wrote:

SJU61982 wrote:

Happy to help! I just don't know how you evaluate these JUCO kids against the competition. Their stats are just random numbers on a page. We already have 2 JUCO's in this class, isn't that enough? These kids don't pan out all that frequently.

CMA, TJ, and DeMeo all have very strong JUCO ties. They are not going to abandon that. And more often than not CMA's JUCO players not only pan out, but end up being all league players or major contributors on the team. And he's not going to have an entire team of JUCOs, but he'll usually have anywhere from 2-4 on the roster.

The year that he went 16-16 at Arkansas after losing Portis and Qualls early to the draft, he went with a 6 man recruiting class that had 3 JUCO's in it and they went from a 16-16 record to 25-9, with 2 of the top 3 scorers on the team being those JUCO players he brought in.

Here's the stats of his last 3 JUCO guards he recruited at Arkansas.

www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/pla.../4395704/mason-jones
www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/daryl-macon-1.html
www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jaylen-barford-1.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, Valgoth, L J S A, RedStormNC, NCJohnnie, BrooklynRed

Last edit: by Making Plays.

Ahmad Rand, PF, USC Salk JC 2 months 1 week ago #373934

• Windy City Johnny Fan
  • Thank you received: 707

Making Plays wrote:

billthetruth wrote:

MJDinkins wrote:

SJU61982 wrote:

CMA, TJ, and DeMeo all have very strong JUCO ties. They are not going to abandon that. And more often than not CMA's JUCO players not only pan out, but end up being all league players or major contributors on the team. And he's not going to have an entire team of JUCOs, but he'll usually have anywhere from 2-4 on the roster.

The year that he went 16-16 at Arkansas after losing Portis and Qualls early to the draft, he went with a 6 man recruiting class that had 3 JUCO's in it and they went from a 16-16 record to 25-9, with 2 of the top 3 scorers on the team being those JUCO players he brought in.

Here's the stats of his last 3 JUCO guards he recruited at Arkansas.

www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/pla.../4395704/mason-jones
www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/daryl-macon-1.html
www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jaylen-barford-1.html

That was actually a very well put together and informative response, much appreciated and point taken.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Making Plays

Ahmad Rand, PF, USC Salk JC 1 month 1 week ago #378564

• Moose
  • Thank you received: 3457
Memphis offered
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, L J S A

Ahmad Rand, PF, USC Salk JC 1 month 1 week ago #378571

• MJDinkins
  • Thank you received: 2651

Moose wrote: Memphis offered

He's played well the past couple of months. I think he's averaging about 5 1/2 or 6 blocks a game in the past month and a half. He's also put up some good rebounding numbers and upped his point total in that time frame as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, L J S A

Ahmad Rand, PF, USC Salk JC 1 month 5 days ago #378763

• Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 17709
Obviously Memphis & probably others offer stiff completion but sense Rand will likely visit after season
The following user(s) said Thank You: Coaster, JohnnyFan

Ahmad Rand, PF, USC Salk JC 1 month 5 days ago #378766

• billthetruth
  • Thank you received: 261

Paultzman wrote: Obviously Memphis & probably others offer stiff completion but sense Rand will likely visit after season

Want this kid bad. He is an athletic rim protector that I think would flourish in CMA's pressing style.

Hope he realizes that he will be over-recruited in a nanosecond at Memphis with some 5-star kid.

Hopefully Cole is in his ear
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman

Moderators: mkras99espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight