Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Around the Big East 18/19

Around the Big East 18/19 2 months 17 hours ago #354415

  • Moose
  • Moose's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 9636
  • Thank you received: 2723

Steve Knortz wrote: DePaul is going to surprise many....better than SJU, and maybe as good as Seton Hall.


The same Seton Hall many are picking to win the BE????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Around the Big East 18/19 2 months 17 hours ago #354416

  • MCNPA
  • MCNPA's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4381
  • Thank you received: 1427

Steve Knortz wrote: DePaul is going to surprise many....better than SJU, and maybe as good as Seton Hall.


You’re saying they’re going to go from the bottom straight to the top? Because Seton Hall expected to be pretty good this season and has one of the best players in the country back in Powell.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Around the Big East 18/19 2 months 14 hours ago #354420

  • L J S A
  • L J S A's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 5881
  • Thank you received: 2285

Tommy O 54 wrote: Here we go i cant wait to hear the chatter on the board on this transaction!;)


I'm good with Van and Demeo. There have been some DePaul teams that I've been a fan of, so I wouldn't mind if Hsu lands good kids there. I'd prefer that he stick to Chicago ones, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JohnnyFan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Around the Big East 18/19 2 months 6 hours ago #354423

  • Steve Knortz
  • Steve Knortz's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 326
  • Thank you received: 44
Per Verbal Commits (not always accurate, compounded by mistakes, so take it all with a grain of salt)
DePaul has four 4*s

Pg Charlie Moore (soph)
Sg Jalen Coleman-Lands (jr)
Sg Austin Granstaff (jr)
Pf Cart'are Gordon (fr)
C Oumar Barry (sr)

Balanced squad...and they just picked up a freshman who is following Hsu.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Around the Big East 18/19 2 months 5 hours ago #354424

  • SJU85
  • SJU85's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2707
  • Thank you received: 500

Steve Knortz wrote: Per Verbal Commits (not always accurate, compounded by mistakes, so take it all with a grain of salt)
DePaul has four 4*s

Pg Charlie Moore (soph)
Sg Jalen Coleman-Lands (jr)
Sg Austin Granstaff (jr)
Pf Cart'are Gordon (fr)
C Oumar Barry (sr)

Balanced squad...and they just picked up a freshman who is following Hsu.


Charlie Moore will be a redshirt junior this year if he is granted a hardship waiver (his father is ill) by the NCAA and s allowed to play this season. He played one year at Cal, sat a year as a transfer and then played a year at Kansas before transferring again to DePaul. If the waiver is not granted, he has to sit out this year and would have one year of eligibility next year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: capmaker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by SJU85.

Around the Big East 18/19 2 months 5 hours ago #354425

  • SJU85
  • SJU85's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2707
  • Thank you received: 500

SJU85 wrote:

Steve Knortz wrote: Per Verbal Commits (not always accurate, compounded by mistakes, so take it all with a grain of salt)
DePaul has four 4*s

Pg Charlie Moore (soph)
Sg Jalen Coleman-Lands (jr)
Sg Austin Granstaff (jr)
Pf Cart'are Gordon (fr)
C Oumar Barry (sr)

Balanced squad...and they just picked up a freshman who is following Hsu.


Charlie Moore will be a redshirt junior this year if he is granted a hardship waiver (his father is ill) by the NCAA and s allowed to play this season. He played one year at Cal, sat a year as a transfer and then played a year at Kansas before transferring again, this time to DePaul. If the waiver is not granted, he has to sit out this year and would have one year of eligibility next year.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Around the Big East 18/19 2 months 4 hours ago #354429

  • Moose
  • Moose's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 9636
  • Thank you received: 2723

Steve Knortz wrote: Per Verbal Commits (not always accurate, compounded by mistakes, so take it all with a grain of salt)
DePaul has four 4*s

Pg Charlie Moore (soph)
Sg Jalen Coleman-Lands (jr)
Sg Austin Granstaff (jr)
Pf Cart'are Gordon (fr)
C Oumar Barry (sr)

Balanced squad...and they just picked up a freshman who is following Hsu.


That's nice
They also have Dave Leitao coaching them. You can give him 7 star players and I think you would still have issues.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Moose.

Around the Big East 18/19 2 months 4 hours ago #354433

  • Mike Zaun
  • Mike Zaun's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1876
  • Thank you received: 1066
SHU grinded out a very close win vs. Kentucky at MSG and got very lucky with how close games played out including our phantom call. Beyond Powell they have solid players but by no means dominant ones. This yr's BE is simply too deep to have a team with 1 great player and a bunch of meh's dominate. I think their luck balances out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Delaware

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Mike Zaun.

Around the Big East 18/19 2 months 4 hours ago #354434

  • Moose
  • Moose's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 9636
  • Thank you received: 2723

Mike Zaun wrote: SHU grinded out a very close win vs. Kentucky at MSG and got very lucky with how close games played out including our phantom call. Beyond Powell they have solid players but by no means dominant ones. This yr's BE is simply too deep to have a team with 1 great player and a bunch of meh's dominate. I think their luck balances out.


Guess what.
Sometimes solid players is all you need.

I'd take Sandro on here in a millisecond as an example. Probably better than any big man we've had in awhile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, bamafan, JohnnyFan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Around the Big East 18/19 1 month 4 weeks ago #354449

  • Adam
  • Adam's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2090
  • Thank you received: 1020

Adam wrote: I did a post on this several months ago, but the Big East gets just as many top 100 recruits as the average P6 conference.

Top 100 players 2019 rankings via 247 Composite:
#15 Nova
#16 Nova
#55 Nova
#60 DePaul
#63 UConn
#64 Providence
#68 Nova
#72 Marquette
#87 Xavier
#89 UConn
#94 Butler
#100 UConn

That's 12/100 spots. 7/11 Big East teams got a top 100 recruit this year. Doing some math:

There are 76 Power 6 teams. Add another ~14 to account for major recruiting powers from other conferences like Memphis, Gonzaga, Cincy, etc... and we're up to 90 power teams.

The Big East's 11 members make up 12% of all power teams (11/90) and recruited 12% of the top 100 recruits (12/100).

In other words, the Big East is right there with the rest of the power conferences. No difference whatsoever.

Lavin got a lot of top 100 recruits. Mullin got a lot during his first couple years. CMA will need to get a few, too.


Just to add to my post from the "Coach Anderson" thread:

247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/Com...tionGroup=highschool

2019 Top 100 Players Per Team (Players/Conference Teams):
1. ACC: 20/15: 1.33
2. SEC: 18/14: 1.29
3. Big 12: 11/10: 1.10
4. Big East: 12/11: 1.09
5. Pac 12: 13/12: 1.08
6. Big Ten: 10/14: 0.71
7. AAC: 6/11: 0.55
8. WCC: 4/10: 0.40
9. A10: 2/14: 0.14
10. Ivy: 1/8: 0.13
Undecided: 3

We have nearly a 3 way tie for third place. The Big East is double the first non-P6 team (AAC).

Side note: UConn moving from Big East to AAC had a massive impact on these rankings. Big East and AAC both would have had 9 recruits (slight advantage for Big East with 10 teams vs 12). Now the Big East has twice as many.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Adam.
Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight