Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ???

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 6 days 21 hours ago #354300

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 2594
My guess is that most top agents go after players who are going to earn NBA salaries. For Ponds there could have been better choices, but ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedStormNC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 6 days 20 hours ago #354302

• RedStormNC
  • Thank you received: 1032
This is where the connections Mullin & Richmond should have been able to help. Maybe they tried or he didn't ask, but signing with a football agency breaking into NBA is odd. The agent had a few NBA guys before and Jaylen Nowell also signed with him. just would have expected the team to sign would get him some decent minutes during summer league at the the position he'd be best at.

Still, no excuse for many of those missed 3's and missed FG's.

Really hope he pulls it together and makes some cash for him & his family. Gotta root for a kid from Brooklyn.

Last edit: by RedStormNC.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 6 days 14 hours ago #354303

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 1115
Anyone stop to think that maybe the Rockets had a competition for summer PG minutes and Clemons and Chiozza beat Ponds out? Those summer leagues are extremely cutthroat, every player except the #1’s are fighting for their NBA lives; no players are “handed” anything.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 6 days 8 hours ago #354317

• redmen4life
  • Thank you received: 78
Unfortunately for Ponds, his naturally ability made him a star in HS and at SJU. But natural ability can only take you so far. Dedication, work ethic, and mental fortitude are required to push beyond. Just look at Simon. He may not have the skills, but when compared to Ponds, its pretty obvious who's working harder. It's obvious who's not resting on his laurels.

Looking back at Ponds SJU career, the Duke game at Duke, now seems like a forecast of what his career will be. He appeared lazy, disinterested, and was obviously bothered by pro-level talent. He was out classed. Out played.

Even the advice Mullin gave him, of having to work harder that he ever has to make a team, is a clear indication of Ponds work ethic.

Hopefully the summer league is a wake-up call for him. Something needs to click for him. And it needs to click pretty quickly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth

Last edit: by redmen4life.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 6 days 8 hours ago #354318

• JohnnyFan
  • Thank you received: 2027
Needs to get in the weight room and adopt a more intense mindset. Should be doing leg squats three times a weak until he can gain some explosiveness.

Also needs to wake up, everyday, just to eat and breathe basketball. Drop the "slick" title and become a hard-nosed, fundamentally sound, high energy guy. If he does that, combined with his talent, he'll give himself a shot.

Otherwise, he will remain "slick" and make decent money overseas. Either outcome is not a bad life. I think Ponds is a good kid.......hope he dedicates himself.

Last edit: by JohnnyFan.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 6 days 7 hours ago #354321

• ron
  • Thank you received: 384
Whenever I think of Shamorie the first thing I remember is the game where he left the ball at half court in an attempt to show up the refs. Mullin walked on the court and picked up the ball. That sequence said volumes to me.
Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: Room112

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 6 days 6 hours ago #354326

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 3344
NBA Summer League today
Knicks vs Wizards at 6
Bulls vs. Magic at 8
Rockets vs Nuggets at 10

All on NBA TV

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 6 days 6 hours ago #354327

• AlBovino
  • Thank you received: 114
redmen4life, you are absolutely correct. The Duke game was the beginning of the end for Shamorie in a St. John's uniform. It seems the results of that game, which had the Duke Freshmen point guard totally outplay Ponds, negatively affected his play from that point forwards.

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 5 days 20 hours ago #354338

• PharmDJohnnie11
  • Thank you received: 190
Tonight he had 13pts, 3rebs, 3asts on 4-11 shooting. Sadly this is by far his best performance of the summer league.

I honestly feel bad for him. I see Myles Powell and all the hype he has coming into next season and just can't help but think of if he stayed. Instead of being one of the best players in the country next season in college he's going to be getting paid peanuts in the G-League or going overseas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tommy O 54

SHAMORI PONDS DRAFT PROJECTION & SIMON ??? 5 days 7 hours ago #354345

• Red Bloods
  • Thank you received: 53
Like I said from the start pillsbury dough boy Ponds didn’t have a chance in hell of being drafted & unless he suddenly changed ALL his bad habits and got in shape he MIGHT make a roster as the 12th man. Obviously none of that happened & he will be on his way to Europe or the G league. What a waste of talent. Too bad he didn’t get the chance to play for Iron Mike because he would have taken none of his shit and had him in the best shape of his life unlike mello Mullin & his inept staff.

Sad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AJ Hidell

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter