Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Big man for 2019-20

Big man for 2019-20 1 month 2 weeks ago #353855

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 2250

MainMan wrote: From his offensive highlights, Sears was a banger at Juco with a low post game. Have no idea if he can do that against D1 comp, but it’s clear it’s a big part of his game.

He did a year of D1 before transfering. Not sure how those numbers translate to Big East if he didn't improve significantly in his juco year.

www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/pla...4067150/damien-sears

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by L J S A. Reason: duplicate text

Big man for 2019-20 1 month 2 weeks ago #353870

• QueensBall
  • Thank you received: 85
I can't shake the feeling that Josh Roberts is going to be our first big in awhile to exceed expectations. I don't think he'll be making an All Conference team or anything but from the little we've seen of him he's really athletic, plays VERY hard and doesn't try to be anything other than what he is. As long as he's a good listener and has the IQ to play within a system I bet he works out well for us and sees plenty of minutes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, SJU85, fuchsia, RedStormRising, NCJohnnie, Tommy O 54

Big man for 2019-20 1 month 2 weeks ago #353871

• Logen
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1187

QueensBall wrote: I can't shake the feeling that Josh Roberts is going to be our first big in awhile to exceed expectations. I don't think he'll be making an All Conference team or anything but from the little we've seen of him he's really athletic, plays VERY hard and doesn't try to be anything other than what he is. As long as he's a good listener and has the IQ to play within a system I bet he works out well for us and sees plenty of minutes.

I agree and share your feeling. Here’s hoping.
The following user(s) said Thank You: QueensBall

Big man for 2019-20 1 month 2 weeks ago #353880

• REB
  • Thank you received: 146
Was there a decision I missed on Ian Steere's request for a waiver to play in the first semester or is this still an open issue?

Big man for 2019-20 1 month 2 weeks ago #353883

• Paultzman
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 13638

REB wrote: Was there a decision I missed on Ian Steere's request for a waiver to play in the first semester or is this still an open issue?

Open, but ...

Big man for 2019-20 1 month 2 weeks ago #353887

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 3378
QueensBall wrote: I can't shake the feeling that Josh Roberts is going to be our first big in awhile to exceed expectations. I don't think he'll be making an All Conference team or anything but from the little we've seen of him he's really athletic, plays VERY hard and doesn't try to be anything other than what he is. As long as he's a good listener and has the IQ to play within a system I bet he works out well for us and sees plenty of minutes

Agree with this for the most part. As I recall, expectation for Josh was very good 4 year player who would take a year or two to develop. I expect him to contribute a lot this year, but still worry a bit about depth up front until Steere is eligible. I don't want to see Heron having to defend 4s again as it will inevitably get him in foul trouble, which we can afford even less this year. Unless LJ has gotten a lot stronger since last year, it will be Heron who is asked to defend a big when Heron, LJ, Wright & either Williams or one of the PGs are playing together. I could be off, but that's how I see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: QueensBall

Big man for 2019-20 1 month 2 weeks ago #353893

• QueensBall
  • Thank you received: 85

NCJohnnie wrote: QueensBall wrote: I can't shake the feeling that Josh Roberts is going to be our first big in awhile to exceed expectations. I don't think he'll be making an All Conference team or anything but from the little we've seen of him he's really athletic, plays VERY hard and doesn't try to be anything other than what he is. As long as he's a good listener and has the IQ to play within a system I bet he works out well for us and sees plenty of minutes

Agree with this for the most part. As I recall, expectation for Josh was very good 4 year player who would take a year or two to develop. I expect him to contribute a lot this year, but still worry a bit about depth up front until Steere is eligible. I don't want to see Heron having to defend 4s again as it will inevitably get him in foul trouble, which we can afford even less this year. Unless LJ has gotten a lot stronger since last year, it will be Heron who is asked to defend a big when Heron, LJ, Wright & either Williams or one of the PGs are playing together. I could be off, but that's how I see it.

I agree with all that NC. I also would feel much more comfortable if Steere were eligible. I don't mind Mustapha playing the 4 for stretches when it makes sense (mismatches or what not) but agree it should not be out of necessity. As you point out foul trouble would be a big problem which we can't afford with him. Also Mustpaha needs to get the "star treatment" this year and by that I mean we're going to be dependent on him to carry a good portion of the offensive load so it seems wise to give him a break on the other side of the ball. And just to be clear I don't mean he shouldn't play hard on defense (I don't get the sense Anderson is the type to allow that) Just saying it'd be nice if he didn't have to spend half the game wrestling guys who outweigh him by 40 lbs. The body feels that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: richard A Steinfeld, NCJohnnie

Big man for 2019-20 1 month 2 weeks ago #353921

• REB

Paultzman wrote:

REB wrote: Was there a decision I missed on Ian Steere's request for a waiver to play in the first semester or is this still an open issue?

Open, but ...

I assume that means, for some reason, it doesn't seem likely. Are there more specifics? or just the felling you're getting from people close to it? Thx.

Big man for 2019-20 1 month 2 weeks ago #353923

• gman
  • Thank you received: 620

REB wrote:

Paultzman wrote:

Open, but ...

I assume that means, for some reason, it doesn't seem likely. Are there more specifics? or just the felling you're getting from people close to it? Thx.

It’s hard to imagine he has much of a case. It isn’t injury or hardship related.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, JohnnyFan

Big man for 2019-20 1 month 2 weeks ago #354040

• REB

gman wrote:

REB wrote:

Paultzman wrote:

Open, but ...

It’s hard to imagine he has much of a case. It isn’t injury or hardship related.

I'm not sure what the rules say but he played 5 minutes in one game and without that he would have been a sit out transfer and would have been eligible at the start of this season.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter