Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: NYS Bill Proposed to share 15% with athletes and get paid for likenesses

NYS Bill Proposed to share 15% with athletes and get paid for likenesses 3 weeks 3 days ago #358221

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 1295

SJUFAN2 wrote:

Logen wrote:

MCNPA wrote:

SJUFAN2 wrote: Is there any reason the NCAA can't approve a system that allows schools to share profits with the athletes in sports that generate profits?

Title IX shouldn't be an issue if the same rule applies to men's and women's athletics, right?

How about something like this:

- If the sport generates a profit for the school, then 5% of the profits are set aside for athletes.
- Half of those profits get split up evenly among the scholarship players on the team generating the profits.
- The other half is allocated to a pool for scholarship athletes on sports that lose money or break even.
- All additional revenue from advertising (use of likenesses, autographs, etc) for all athletes goes into a 3rd pool to be evenly distributed among all scholarship athletes.

Is there any reason they couldn't do something like this?

Kids will still favor more profitable schools which will cement inequality in competition though. UK’s 5% is gonna be a lot more than Seton Hall’s 5%. Schools will just be pitching how much more they will make at their school vs everybody else. How do you fix that?

The solution must be found where every school is on an even playing field with regards to any type of compensation system. It can’t favor huge state schools with unlimited dollars and massive profits over others.

If you start paying players legally, no matter the process, it will make the abuse that goes on now look like stealing tips from a car wash.

Put it all above board.
Then 5 year "death penalty" for any program that cheats.

The great author Cormac McCarthy said “it takes very little to govern good people. Very little. And bad people can’t be governed at all. Or if they could I never heard of it.”
There are enough laws, rules, regulations, and they don’t stop or prevent very much. Or as one wise man asked - “Why do you think people will obey the 17,000 laws on the books when they can’t follow 10 commandments written on a tablet?”
Offered with sincere apologies to any non-Christians or atheists who might read this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

NYS Bill Proposed to share 15% with athletes and get paid for likenesses 3 weeks 3 days ago #358222

• MCNPA
  • Thank you received: 1514

Logen wrote:

SJUFAN2 wrote:

Logen wrote:

MCNPA wrote:

SJUFAN2 wrote: Is there any reason the NCAA can't approve a system that allows schools to share profits with the athletes in sports that generate profits?

Title IX shouldn't be an issue if the same rule applies to men's and women's athletics, right?

- If the sport generates a profit for the school, then 5% of the profits are set aside for athletes.
- Half of those profits get split up evenly among the scholarship players on the team generating the profits.
- The other half is allocated to a pool for scholarship athletes on sports that lose money or break even.
- All additional revenue from advertising (use of likenesses, autographs, etc) for all athletes goes into a 3rd pool to be evenly distributed among all scholarship athletes.

Kids will still favor more profitable schools which will cement inequality in competition though. UK’s 5% is gonna be a lot more than Seton Hall’s 5%. Schools will just be pitching how much more they will make at their school vs everybody else. How do you fix that?

The solution must be found where every school is on an even playing field with regards to any type of compensation system. It can’t favor huge state schools with unlimited dollars and massive profits over others.

If you start paying players legally, no matter the process, it will make the abuse that goes on now look like stealing tips from a car wash.

Put it all above board.

The great author Cormac McCarthy said “it takes very little to govern good people. Very little. And bad people can’t be governed at all. Or if they could I never heard of it.”
There are enough laws, rules, regulations, and they don’t stop or prevent very much. Or as one wise man asked - “Why do you think people will obey the 17,000 laws on the books when they can’t follow 10 commandments written on a tablet?”
Offered with sincere apologies to any non-Christians or atheists who might read this.

I’m an for lack of energy to expand, an atheist I can’t see how a reference to the Ten Commandments would offend atheists although I suppose some are militant anti-religion. Will not hijack the thread as that’s another topic.

Last edit: by MCNPA.

NYS Bill Proposed to share 15% with athletes and get paid for likenesses 3 weeks 3 days ago #358223

• Logen

MCNPA wrote:

Logen wrote:

SJUFAN2 wrote:

Logen wrote:

MCNPA wrote:

Put it all above board.

I’m an for lack of energy to expand, an atheist I can’t see how a reference to the Ten Commandments would offend atheists although I suppose some are militant anti-religion. Will not hijack the thread as that’s another topic.

Sorry, I was trying to kid with the last comment. Second time in a week or two I fell flat on my face while attempting to joke. I guess I should just stick to being an a$$hole.

NYS Bill Proposed to share 15% with athletes and get paid for likenesses 3 weeks 3 days ago #358224

• MCNPA
  • Thank you received: 1514

Logen wrote:

MCNPA wrote:

Logen wrote:

SJUFAN2 wrote:

Logen wrote:

MCNPA wrote:

Put it all above board.

Sorry, I was trying to kid with the last comment. Second time in a week or two I fell flat on my face while attempting to joke. I guess I should just stick to being an a$$hole.

I thought you were sticking to being an a$$hole and just apologizing for it ahead of time...;-)

NYS Bill Proposed to share 15% with athletes and get paid for likenesses 3 weeks 3 days ago #358225

• Logen

MCNPA wrote:

Logen wrote:

MCNPA wrote:

Logen wrote:

SJUFAN2 wrote:

Logen wrote:

MCNPA wrote:

Put it all above board.

I thought you were sticking to being an a$$hole and just apologizing for it ahead of time...;-)

Touche

NYS Bill Proposed to share 15% with athletes and get paid for likenesses 3 weeks 2 days ago #358256

• fuchsia
  • Thank you received: 210
Such brilliant repartee might seem snappier without the quote function

NYS Bill Proposed to share 15% with athletes and get paid for likenesses 2 weeks 12 hours ago #359072

• Steve Knortz
  • Thank you received: 48
nypost.com/2019/09/30/california-defies-...letes-to-make-money/

Seems like a huge recruiting advantage for California schools. The Big 10 will force action by the NCAA.

NYS Bill Proposed to share 15% with athletes and get paid for likenesses 2 weeks 11 hours ago #359083

• Roamer
  • Thank you received: 35

Steve Knortz wrote: nypost.com/2019/09/30/california-defies-...letes-to-make-money/

Seems like a huge recruiting advantage for California schools. The Big 10 will force action by the NCAA.

The way I view this is basically no different than the advantage of a school bribing players. This is not good for any school (but may be good for the student athlete).

NYS Bill Proposed to share 15% with athletes and get paid for likenesses 2 weeks 11 hours ago #359088

• Eric Williamson
  • Thank you received: 109

Steve Knortz wrote: nypost.com/2019/09/30/california-defies-...letes-to-make-money/

This will get very interesting, and I think it will get worse before it ever gets better.

I have no problem if a player wants to make money off of their image/likeness, endorsements, etc.

But what will happen if an individual's interests conflict with those of their university's? Say Duke athletics are under contract with Nike. However, Under Armour offers Zion way more money and he signs a shoe contract with them. Will Nike be allowed to require all of Duke's athletes to wear their products?
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedStormRising

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight