Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: R.I.P. Mel Utley

R.I.P. Mel Utley 2 weeks 5 days ago #358626

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 2716
Before my time. In those days, post college players would either play in the LI Press league (where the McIntyres tore it up), the Eastern League (a semi pro league), and Brooklyn Queens CYO unlimited division. Mel played CYO for St. Mary's Star of the Sea in Far Rockaway, and I saw him play in our parish gym. If I'm not mistaken Sonny Dove also played in that league.

R.I.P. Mel had a stellar career at SJU, and was the prototypical NYC kid who stayed home and made St. John's a tough out for anyone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redken, gonzalo, Class of 72, bamafan, algold98

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

R.I.P. Mel Utley 2 weeks 5 days ago #358627

• RICH K aka Booksnball
  • Thank you received: 83
Very sad news about the passing of Mel Utley. A good man has left us far too soon.
I had the opportunity to meet him this past Spring when he was inducted into "The Basketball Old Timer's Hall of Fame" at their annual dinner in Brooklyn. His acceptance speech was warm & his sincerity admirable as he thanked the St. John's community in attendance. He was a joy to watch as a player at Far Rockaway H.S. of the PSAL & in his years at St. John's. My prayers go out to his family.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East, gonzalo, Class of 72, panther2, bamafan, L J S A, algold98, NCJohnnie

R.I.P. Mel Utley 2 weeks 4 days ago #358695

• MarkRedman
  • Thank you received: 1393
The following user(s) said Thank You: gonzalo, Coaster, Knight

R.I.P. Mel Utley 2 weeks 3 days ago #358804

• fan since 65
  • Thank you received: 27
At school when I was there and the win against Providence in the NIT was commemorated on the back page of the Daily News. Saved it since I was on it with arms raised
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jerseyshorejohnny, IDRAFT, gonzalo, bamafan, sjc88, NCJohnnie

R.I.P. Mel Utley 1 week 6 days ago #359153

• NYCRedmen
  • Thank you received: 603
Here is a photo I took of him at a game this past year with Billy Schaeffer
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, Zeeman, Beast of the East, redken, jerseyshorejohnny, jackfro, capmaker, bamafan, NCJohnnie

R.I.P. Mel Utley 1 week 2 days ago #359371

• redken
  • Thank you received: 932

NYCRedmen wrote: Here is a photo I took of him at a game this past year with Billy Schaeffer

Thanks, NYCRedmen, for another great photo: two of my favorite Redmen; both terrific individuals on and off the court.

Last edit: by redken.
  • Page:
Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight