Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: (POST GAME) (HofF@Mohegan Sun) UMass, Sun. Nov. 24, 3:30p, ESPN2, 970 WNYM

(POST GAME) (HofF@Mohegan Sun) UMass, Sun. Nov. 24, 3:30p, ESPN2, 970 WNYM 2 weeks 1 day ago #364994

• Section3
  • Thank you received: 412

Adam wrote: I am certainly not giving up on Heron, but this is his final year. Given that this is a rebuilding year, it's far more promising long-term that freshmen/sophomores like Caraher, Champagnie and Roberts have over-performed. We haven't had that happen with recruits outside of the 4/5 star range in probably at least a decade. Their play thus far relative to recruiting rankings has been excellent. If you told me they were top 50/100 high school students I absolutely would have believed it.

Obviously we'd all love to have both Heron/LJ meeting expectations and the lower classmen overachieving, but if we had to pick one then the results thus far have been very promising. A month ago I was MUCH more concerned about 20-21 (losing Heron and possibly LJ) than this year. I was anticipating a repeat of Mullin's first couple years, which would hurt our recruiting momentum given that it'd be year 2 of the CMA era rather than year 1. Fortunately the future looks bright and this year won't be a lost one.

We need him to get his game back. But, silver lining, is that rest of team is getting opportunity to contribute and gaining confidence. Early on, I was concerned that heron and LJ were going to dominate the ball and the shots to the detriment of the team.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

(POST GAME) (HofF@Mohegan Sun) UMass, Sun. Nov. 24, 3:30p, ESPN2, 970 WNYM 2 weeks 1 day ago #364998

• isham
  • Thank you received: 24
Rebounding is a big part of the game. After 5 years it's nice to see us rebounding on both ends of the court.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jnaw17

(POST GAME) (HofF@Mohegan Sun) UMass, Sun. Nov. 24, 3:30p, ESPN2, 970 WNYM 2 weeks 1 day ago #364999

• Big Red
  • Thank you received: 114

L J S A wrote:

MarkRedman wrote:

JackofVirginia wrote:

Paultzman wrote: Steere, if as good as advertised, Champagnie and Josh certainly appear to be nice interior, BE level pieces. That’s a solid core to build the program on. Some complementary baseline guys like David and Marcellus appear to be competent role guys. Not bod!

If Steere is going to start when he returns who will sit? Rutterford and Heron in backcourt and upfront LJ,, Steere and Roberts. Tough to sit Champagnie.

I would be surprised if Steere starts right away
I think CMA will make Steere earn his way into the lineup

I think he's probably already earned it in practice. I'd like to see what Steere, Roberts, Champagnie, Heron, and Figgy look like together. Let the guy who can most easily bring the ball up court play the point while on offense.

Lol Steere will probably come off the bench the rest of the year. Other guys have established their place and the spot he is playing has 2 guys playing really good basketball.

Plus, he hasn’t played in a game for a while. Give him a chance to get acclimated to the intensity. I just don’t see him taking Roberts or Champagnie’s spot. And Mustapha and Figg aren’t point guards. So you can’t push out a distributor.

(POST GAME) (HofF@Mohegan Sun) UMass, Sun. Nov. 24, 3:30p, ESPN2, 970 WNYM 2 weeks 1 day ago #365009

• Monte
  • Thank you received: 2116

MarkRedman wrote: Really pleased with Roberts' growth
Caraher looks like he's more than a one trick pony - willing to mix it up
Champagnie settling in nicely as a frosh
Earlington continues to give good minutes off the bench
One concern - we need a steady ball handler against full court pressure
We looked very shaky against their press, especially when Rutherford was on the bench

Still think that once he shakes off the cobwebs, Dunn is the one to break the press most often. With help of course. He’s got the size, strength and athletic ability. I like Rutherford, but he’s going to have a really tough time breaking the press consistently against better comp.
The following user(s) said Thank You: L J S A

Last edit: by Monte.

(POST GAME) (HofF@Mohegan Sun) UMass, Sun. Nov. 24, 3:30p, ESPN2, 970 WNYM 2 weeks 1 day ago #365011

• Ray Morgan
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 783
What's interesting about this game and some of the others is that the players with the least experience, Champ, Earlington and Roberts seem to be far looser than our upperclassmen. No matter what the score is, Champ has the look of a zen master with everything under control. Hard to believe that he is a freshman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Section3, Fred Solomon

(POST GAME) (HofF@Mohegan Sun) UMass, Sun. Nov. 24, 3:30p, ESPN2, 970 WNYM 2 weeks 3 hours ago #365089

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 3190

richard A Steinfeld wrote: Ironically everyone said we need another big. But, w Steere,Roberts, Champagne and Earlington, we will be good in that dept. especially next year.

Don't forget the addition of 6'10 Moore who will be more mature next year.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 

(POST GAME) (HofF@Mohegan Sun) UMass, Sun. Nov. 24, 3:30p, ESPN2, 970 WNYM 2 weeks 2 hours ago #365090

• richard A Steinfeld
  • Thank you received: 797

Class of 72 wrote:

richard A Steinfeld wrote: Ironically everyone said we need another big. But, w Steere,Roberts, Champagne and Earlington, we will be good in that dept. especially next year.

Don't forget the addition of 6'10 Moore who will be more mature next year.

Can’t judge him at this time. Not highly recruited but may turn out to be a diamond in the rough. I didn’t forget him, he will be able to provide depth. Of course seeing the development of Roberts, Champagnie and Earlington, there are reasons to be optimistic.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight