Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Rysheed Jordan Release

Rysheed Jordan Release 1 week 1 day ago #365737

  • Tom H O'Toole
  • Tom H O'Toole's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 261
  • Thank you received: 61

SJU14 wrote: Escaping his current life isn’t exactly easy for Rysheed. Remember, his aunt was killed while he was at SJU, his mother died while he was in prison, I don’t believe his father is in the picture, and he’s the eldest of many siblings.


Yeah lifes a bitch sometimes, but there any excuses in life.
You either you want the legitimate life, or you don't.
Lets see which one he picks.

I'll guarantee, if he picks thugs life then back to prison he'll go.
His choice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rysheed Jordan Release 1 week 1 day ago #365887

  • Beast of the East
  • Beast of the East's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 11009
  • Thank you received: 2838

P Simmons wrote: Serious question: Can we offer him a scholarship even if he’s done time?
He is scary talented, one of the saddest stories we’ve had, but just imagine if it could be turned around with our help.


I think there is a clock that starts ticking in terms of D1 eligibility of 5 seasons total.

Hopefully Rysheed will get an opportunity to.play basketball somewhere for pay. Way more importantly is that he gets serious about the direction of his life and desires to stay far from the trouble that landed him in jail.
The following user(s) said Thank You: panther2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rysheed Jordan Release 1 week 1 day ago #365896

  • fuchsia
  • fuchsia's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1448
  • Thank you received: 237
Beast, as we have sometimes discussed, a lot of my work has involved teaching clinical staff about the co-occurrence and interaction of mental illness, substance use, and trauma disorders. At a distance Rysheed seems to be dealing with lots of trauma rooted stuff and that is not an easy road.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rysheed Jordan Release 1 week 1 day ago #365903

  • Mike Zaun
  • Mike Zaun's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2099
  • Thank you received: 1154
It's obviously harder when you are in that kind of environment to be a good role model and do things the right way, but part of my point is that by in large hip hop culture excuses extremely bad behavior. Delayed gratification, saving money, getting a good degree at a good school, a good career, etc. are not in any of the mainstream hip hop songs. The exact opposite is...spend $500 on a Gucci belt just to say you did. One of the guys who lived in the next dorm to me at Marist was on the basketball team. Nice guy from DC but told me about his tough upbringing. I remember him showing me his chain and said "This is $10k right here you want to wear it?". I was laughing and said sure...when I put it around my neck I clearly felt it was plastic. He wasn't joking when he said it was worth $10k but I didn't want to be a jerk and make a joke about it. The point of the story is that hip hop culture encourages wild materialism in inner-cities, so much so that kids growing up there listening to this music are willing to get fake jewelry and pretend it's real for perception. I'm honestly surprised this isn't on the national radar more with real discussions regarding adverse effects.

Sorry for the tangent...I just really want Rysheed to take the right path and you have to be careful not to make too many excuses. We all go through our trials and tribulations even if we aren't always outward about them. Sure, they may not be in the same amount, but if you really put your mind to it and hang around positive and mature people, you can overcome them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rysheed Jordan Release 6 days 17 hours ago #366136

  • Beast of the East
  • Beast of the East's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 11009
  • Thank you received: 2838

fuchsia wrote: Beast, as we have sometimes discussed, a lot of my work has involved teaching clinical staff about the co-occurrence and interaction of mental illness, substance use, and trauma disorders. At a distance Rysheed seems to be dealing with lots of trauma rooted stuff and that is not an easy road.


Fuchsia, I'm in alignment with your thoughts. Forgetting about all that. Imagine how a guy just out of jail with few life skills, no degree, no assets, and no job is confronted with making it in the world. Recidivism is high for a reason, even when devoid of the co-morbidities you speak about.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rysheed Jordan Release 6 days 17 hours ago #366138

  • Chris7
  • Chris7's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 769
  • Thank you received: 171

Tom H O'Toole wrote:

SJU14 wrote: Escaping his current life isn’t exactly easy for Rysheed. Remember, his aunt was killed while he was at SJU, his mother died while he was in prison, I don’t believe his father is in the picture, and he’s the eldest of many siblings.


Yeah lifes a bitch sometimes, but there any excuses in life.
You either you want the legitimate life, or you don't.
Lets see which one he picks.

I'll guarantee, if he picks thugs life then back to prison he'll go.
His choice


It ain't that simple. If you own a business/company/anything, are you hiring someone like him who has been convicted of a felony and served time? It's not that easy to just pick up and start over again. I cannot imagine he has much, if anything, going for him under than he was good at basketball.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rysheed Jordan Release 6 days 17 hours ago #366143

  • Monte
  • Monte's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5434
  • Thank you received: 2116

Chris7 wrote:

Tom H O'Toole wrote:

SJU14 wrote: Escaping his current life isn’t exactly easy for Rysheed. Remember, his aunt was killed while he was at SJU, his mother died while he was in prison, I don’t believe his father is in the picture, and he’s the eldest of many siblings.


Yeah lifes a bitch sometimes, but there any excuses in life.
You either you want the legitimate life, or you don't.
Lets see which one he picks.

I'll guarantee, if he picks thugs life then back to prison he'll go.
His choice


It ain't that simple. If you own a business/company/anything, are you hiring someone like him who has been convicted of a felony and served time? It's not that easy to just pick up and start over again. I cannot imagine he has much, if anything, going for him under than he was good at basketball.


Because of his status as a former basketball star, and because of the contacts he's made within the basketball community, he will have many more opportunities available to him then the large majority of ex-cons. Let's hope he takes advantage of the opportunities.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sju grad 13

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rysheed Jordan Release 6 days 17 hours ago #366145

  • Beast of the East
  • Beast of the East's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 11009
  • Thank you received: 2838

Monte wrote:

Chris7 wrote:

Tom H O'Toole wrote:

SJU14 wrote: Escaping his current life isn’t exactly easy for Rysheed. Remember, his aunt was killed while he was at SJU, his mother died while he was in prison, I don’t believe his father is in the picture, and he’s the eldest of many siblings.


Yeah lifes a bitch sometimes, but there any excuses in life.
You either you want the legitimate life, or you don't.
Lets see which one he picks.

I'll guarantee, if he picks thugs life then back to prison he'll go.
His choice


It ain't that simple. If you own a business/company/anything, are you hiring someone like him who has been convicted of a felony and served time? It's not that easy to just pick up and start over again. I cannot imagine he has much, if anything, going for him under than he was good at basketball.


Because of his status as a former basketball star, and because of the contacts he's made within the basketball community, he will have many more opportunities available to him then the large majority of ex-cons. Let's hope he takes advantage of the opportunities.


Maybe, maybe not, Monte. Most teams will not hire a guy who just spent time in jail for robbing and shooting someone. There are far safer propositions than signing up Rysheed
The following user(s) said Thank You: fuchsia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rysheed Jordan Release 5 days 23 hours ago #366214

  • Monte
  • Monte's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5434
  • Thank you received: 2116

Beast of the East wrote:

Monte wrote:

Chris7 wrote:

Tom H O'Toole wrote:

SJU14 wrote: Escaping his current life isn’t exactly easy for Rysheed. Remember, his aunt was killed while he was at SJU, his mother died while he was in prison, I don’t believe his father is in the picture, and he’s the eldest of many siblings.


Yeah lifes a bitch sometimes, but there any excuses in life.
You either you want the legitimate life, or you don't.
Lets see which one he picks.

I'll guarantee, if he picks thugs life then back to prison he'll go.
His choice


It ain't that simple. If you own a business/company/anything, are you hiring someone like him who has been convicted of a felony and served time? It's not that easy to just pick up and start over again. I cannot imagine he has much, if anything, going for him under than he was good at basketball.


Because of his status as a former basketball star, and because of the contacts he's made within the basketball community, he will have many more opportunities available to him then the large majority of ex-cons. Let's hope he takes advantage of the opportunities.


Maybe, maybe not, Monte. Most teams will not hire a guy who just spent time in jail for robbing and shooting someone. There are far safer propositions than signing up Rysheed


Actually Beast, wasn’t talking about as a pro basketball player. Was talking more about in other fields of work, and in comparison to others convicted of violent crimes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bamafan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Monte.

Rysheed Jordan Release 5 days 23 hours ago #366216

  • panther2
  • panther2's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 765
  • Thank you received: 1654
I have a question for everyone. Basketball may or may not be over for Rysheed, no one really knows. However, if he were to decide that he wanted to return to St. Johns and pursue a Degree in Human Service and Counseling, how would you feel.? Would anyone be adverse to the school offering him financial aid? Would anyone involved in Health Care offer him an Internship or Summer employment?
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight