Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: LJ's Regression

LJ's Regression 1 month 1 day ago #372692

• SJU11Redmen
  • SJU11Redmen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 127
The most confusing thing about this season has been the regression of LJ Figueroa. Last year this guy shot 58% on his 2-point attempts, this year he's shooting just 38% on his 2-point attempts. That is a very concerning drop. Ironically, the player for which LJ's stats have been most comparable to so far this year according to Kenpom is another Mike Anderson player, Kim English.

Kim shot 36% on both 2-pointers and 3-pointers his junior year under Mike Anderson, then his senior year under Frank Haith, he shot 59% on 2-pointers and 46% on 3-pointers.

Hopefully this is just a phase for LJ since he was so good last year, but his shot selection needs to drastically improve or else we are going to continue to mightily struggle on offense, especially with Heron deep in a slump.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, Fred Solomon, RJGBOOTSY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

LJ's Regression 1 month 1 day ago #372698

• Duke of Earlington
  • Thank you received: 94
The problem is 2 fold i believe:

1- He was not drawing the top defender on the other team last year. ponds was. Figgy doesnt seem to have the qucikness to get by an elite D1 defender

2- The d we playing is wearing him down. he is expending alot of energy on d and I think that is affecting his offense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: isham, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, Fred Solomon

LJ's Regression 1 month 1 day ago #372702

• James Ray Lamb
  • Thank you received: 81
LJ is trying to do too much. He's shooting instead of passing.

Heron, LJ's roommate and friend is struggling. LJ is trying to man up and carry the team. It's messing up his game.

Last edit: by James Ray Lamb.

LJ's Regression 1 month 1 day ago #372703

• SJUFAN2
  • Thank you received: 651

SJU11Redmen wrote: The most confusing thing about this season has been the regression of LJ Figueroa. Last year this guy shot 58% on his 2-point attempts, this year he's shooting just 38% on his 2-point attempts. That is a very concerning drop. Ironically, the player for which LJ's stats have been most comparable to so far this year according to Kenpom is another Mike Anderson player, Kim English.

Kim shot 36% on both 2-pointers and 3-pointers his junior year under Mike Anderson, then his senior year under Frank Haith, he shot 59% on 2-pointers and 46% on 3-pointers.

Hopefully this is just a phase for LJ since he was so good last year, but his shot selection needs to drastically improve or else we are going to continue to mightily struggle on offense, especially with Heron deep in a slump.

Some guys are better suited to be Robin, and not Batman.
Last year he was the 4th or 5th option on a talented team. He could exploit the weaknesses in defenses that occured when they focused on stopping Ponds, Heron, Clark, and Simon.
Now he has to carry the offense and he's struggling in that role. Its disappointing, but not a surprise. He'd be smart to comeback next year when he won't have to carry the load on offense. He'll flourish in this scheme as a 3rd/4th option.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, Beast of the East, SJU85, SJU11Redmen, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, Andrew, James Ray Lamb

LJ's Regression 1 month 1 day ago #372707

• Room112
  • Thank you received: 938

Duke of Earlington wrote: The problem is 2 fold i believe:

1- He was not drawing the top defender on the other team last year. ponds was. Figgy doesnt seem to have the qucikness to get by an elite D1 defender

2- The d we playing is wearing him down. he is expending alot of energy on d and I think that is affecting his offense.

Definitely #1. You can see LJ doesn't have the quickness to create his own shot. So he's settling for less than ideal situations to hoist up shots. It's not like we have a great point guard to get him in good positions for easy shots.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, Fred Solomon

LJ's Regression 1 month 1 day ago #372712

• Knight
  • Thank you received: 1414
The team needs a better attack plan on offense. Maybe our personnel are not meant to take such quick shots. Mix the offense a little. I saw one set last night where there were 4 players looking for the ball, all on the left side of the key. Need better spacing and ball movement.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sherman, Sheridan & Grant

Last edit: by Knight.

LJ's Regression 1 month 1 day ago #372713

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 3025
He relies too much on the 3 ball, and honestly I don't think he is a deadeye shooter. He also doesn't have a great handle.

So, teams will let him shoot long threes. If he were deadly from out there they'd have to come out to play him, and when they did, if his handle was better, could blow by them for layups. As it is, his moves to the hoop are suspect and he relies too much on that crappy floater.

As the 4th or fifth option he had some amazing putback slams, some garbage points, and some wide open looks when teams collapsed to stop Ponds.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Class of 72, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant

LJ's Regression 1 month 1 day ago #372716

• Duke of Earlington
  • Thank you received: 94

Beast of the East wrote: He relies too much on the 3 ball, and honestly I don't think he is a deadeye shooter. He also doesn't have a great handle.

So, teams will let him shoot long threes. If he were deadly from out there they'd have to come out to play him, and when they did, if his handle was better, could blow by them for layups. As it is, his moves to the hoop are suspect and he relies too much on that crappy floater.

As the 4th or fifth option he had some amazing putback slams, some garbage points, and some wide open looks when teams collapsed to stop Ponds.

I agree. he doesnt have a natural shot. its almost like a shot put when he shoots a 3.

LJ's Regression 1 month 1 day ago #372718

• Sherman, Sheridan & Grant
  • Thank you received: 963
Thanks.
Who among us would have thought that our "two best players" are not our two best players. Does not bode well but I'm happy with CMA and trust that sooner (this year) or later (next year) he will figure it out + augment the roster.
2019-20 might be another one of those years to endure rather than enjoy. Hope not.

LJ's Regression 1 month 1 day ago #372722

• QueensBall
  • Thank you received: 355
LJ and Heron are in terrible slumps but also they need a PG. Our offense doesn't run through anyone. We really need a lead guard who is both a capable scorer and facilitator. Dunn's a nice complimentary piece who can get a bucket but he's not a natural PG and doesn't have those instincts. Rutherford is just not anywhere near enough of an offensive threat to have the ball in his hands for too much of the game. We become too predictable.

At this point I'd genuinely consider letting Williams Jr. run the show. He's a threat to score with the ball in his hands and his athleticism needs to be respected. He's not John Stockton but he looks to pass and doesn't turn it over too much. Beyond that, he's one of the few players trending in the right direction right now. I'd hand him the reigns for the next few games, hope LJ and Heron wake up from their current nightmares and wait for Posh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: L J S A, Fred Solomon

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight