Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Coaching Carousel

Coaching Carousel 2 months 2 weeks ago #382013

• Moose
  • Thank you received: 3699

Paultzman wrote: Expending any energy on the hiring of Rick P seems crazy to me. Perhaps he lands some transfers to our detriment occasionally, but Danny Hurley on recruiting trail seems a more logical & immediate threat. Even there, CMA will do fine. Good for Iona & their fundraising efforts, but no sweat here. “Coulda, woulda, shoulda” is waste of time.

Where else do you want to spend energy this week of all weeks :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Coaching Carousel 2 months 2 weeks ago #382022

• Las Vegan
  • Thank you received: 304
I'm very confident SJU has the right coach in place, but the quicker Iona becomes more competitive, the quicker we can play them at MSG, draw some big crowds and make some money. It can only help SJU, if NY college basketball gets a decent rivalry going. Just look at the emotion this hire has created already.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Red2395, IDRAFT

Coaching Carousel 2 months 2 weeks ago #382395

• Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 18715
Bryce Drew has agreed to a deal with Grand Canyon to become the next head coach, a source tells Evan Daniels
The following user(s) said Thank You: L J S A

Coaching Carousel 2 months 2 weeks ago #382462

• austour
  • Thank you received: 1007

Class of 72 wrote:

Las Vegan wrote: Whatever anyone thinks of Pitino, the guy can coach, recruit and develop players. Iona will be good in short time. I would hope Mike Cragg would explore playing Iona at MSG, if Pitino becomes their coach.

Pitino was successful where had a huge amount of financial support in established Power 5 schools like Kentucky and Louisville. Long before Slick Rick arrived at those programs they had been a coveted destination for top ranked players because of both premier facilities and incredible fan support. He needs to land at such a school to be relevant. Does Iona have any qualities that would draw the type of player that would have Kentucky or Duke in their top five schools? I wouldn't worry about Pitino unless Rutgers or Uconn Seton Hall were a possible destination.

Yeah Providence, the Mecca of Rhode Island hoops too.

Coaching Carousel 2 months 2 weeks ago #382465

• jerseyshorejohnny
  • Thank you received: 1724
Las Vegan wrote: Whatever anyone thinks of Pitino, the guy can coach, recruit and develop players. Iona will be good in short time. I would hope Mike Cragg would explore playing Iona at MSG, if Pitino becomes their coach.

Given the Iona connection at Seton Hall (Athletic Director Pat Lyons and Kevin Willard) could see the Pirates playing Iona at MSG.

Could also see a possible Iona-PC matchup as well as a Kentucky-Iona matchup

Would think Rick will be looking for high profile out of conference games
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, otis, IDRAFT

Last edit: by jerseyshorejohnny.

Coaching Carousel 2 months 2 weeks ago #382467

• redmannorth
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 3365

jerseyshorejohnny wrote: Las Vegan wrote: Whatever anyone thinks of Pitino, the guy can coach, recruit and develop players. Iona will be good in short time. I would hope Mike Cragg would explore playing Iona at MSG, if Pitino becomes their coach.

Given the Iona connection at Seton Hall (Athletic Director Pat Lyons and Kevin Willard) could see the Pirates playing Iona at MSG.

Could also see a possible Iona-PC matchup as well as a Kentucky-Iona matchup

Would think Rick will be looking for high profile out of conference games

Absolutely. There is no reason for him not to dominate the MAAC. The man can coach and will recruit better than Cluess did. In an attempt to recruit a higher level of recruit than Cluess was able to obtain or any other MAAC coach for that matter he will have to try to schedule high profile teams in the 10-12 out of conference games he will have. This will help to raise the profile of the team for recruiting and NCAA seeding.
Notwithstanding I still have a very hard time seeing him getting 4 and 5 star kids to New Rochelle to play against Marist, Manhattan etc.
Furthermore many coaches will recruit negatively against him and will state that he will not be there for the long haul or rather a very short period of time , which most reasonable people believe to be the case.

Coaching Carousel 2 months 2 weeks ago #382470

• fordham96
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1888
Mike Anderson was a terrific hire especially considering where the search was going last year.

I have a different opinion than a lot of people especially before Mike Anderson was hired on Pitino. Considering where the search was headed. Despite his baggage you had to me the best all around coach maybe ever (combination of recruiting, preparation, in game adjustments, talent evaluator to me he's the best) available when under normal circumstances you would have zero shot at a coach like that I think he was worth a call. I understand people can disagree but I'm sorry if they hired James Jones and Pitino was still available and then a year later he was hired by Iona I would be pretty pissed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Section3, isham, SJUNC, IDRAFT, L J S A

Coaching Carousel 2 months 2 weeks ago #382473

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 2885

fordham96 wrote: I understand people can disagree but I'm sorry if they hired James Jones and Pitino was still available and then a year later he was hired by Iona I would be pretty pissed.

I can't say that that would have been it for me as a fan after all the crap they've put me though over the past 38 or so years, but I would have started following Stanford hoops a lot more and St. John's a bit less if that happened.

Coaching Carousel 2 months 2 weeks ago #382474

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 221
Same. What makes this palatable to me is that we got Anderson and I think, as you state, he will prove to be a terrific hire both on and off the court.

fordham96 wrote: Mike Anderson was a terrific hire especially considering where the search was going last year.

I have a different opinion than a lot of people especially before Mike Anderson was hired on Pitino. Considering where the search was headed. Despite his baggage you had to me the best all around coach maybe ever (combination of recruiting, preparation, in game adjustments, talent evaluator to me he's the best) available when under normal circumstances you would have zero shot at a coach like that I think he was worth a call. I understand people can disagree but I'm sorry if they hired James Jones and Pitino was still available and then a year later he was hired by Iona I would be pretty pissed.

Coaching Carousel 2 months 2 weeks ago #382482

• Mario
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 88
Bottom line for me IMHO would not want Pitino to be the face of this catholic university. I'm all for giving people a second chance but his history does not show acts of repentance or taking ownership for his misdoings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight