Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Pitino to Iona 2 months 4 weeks ago #384614

• Amaseinyourface
  • Thank you received: 1254

Beast of the East wrote:

jerseyshorejohnny wrote:

Iona attempting to play Kentucky and Minnesota at MSG

There is no question at this point that Pitino has plenty of gas in the tank. Remember that Calipari and Pitino are close friends, and Calipari is a Pitino disciple. Cal would definitely be a solid bet to help Pitino out with a home and home series.

Strong moves by Pitino out of the gate.

I was under the impression they couldn’t stand each other.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pitino to Iona 2 months 4 weeks ago #384624

• Chicago Days
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2982
Riveting debate in these sheltering times between Beast and Monte about what does Pitino do once he redeems himself?
I kept mumbling 'but how old will he be' following his 'breakout' at Iona?
He turns 68 this year. It might take even Pitino 3 - 4 years to break into the Top 25 from a MAAC school, by which time he'll be 71.
I think Monte's right about Pitino's consummate ambition to triumph at the highest levels of the sport (which includes the NBA of course) and Beast to gauge that 'age' may be a factor both for Rick and for his next destination.
Seems to me he'll itch to move on from Iona...and the NBA may be a more realistic option at 70 - 71 than a premier Power Conference school. But who knows?
One thing for sure, the ball's in Rick's hands at this point--which is where he likes it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, Tonyinfairfield

Pitino to Iona 2 months 2 weeks ago #385369

• bobo
  • Thank you received: 90
Losing feels worse than winning feels good

Pitino to Iona 2 months 2 weeks ago #385384

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 3560

Chicago Days wrote: Riveting debate in these sheltering times between Beast and Monte about what does Pitino do once he redeems himself?
I kept mumbling 'but how old will he be' following his 'breakout' at Iona?
He turns 68 this year. It might take even Pitino 3 - 4 years to break into the Top 25 from a MAAC school, by which time he'll be 71.
I think Monte's right about Pitino's consummate ambition to triumph at the highest levels of the sport (which includes the NBA of course) and Beast to gauge that 'age' may be a factor both for Rick and for his next destination.
Seems to me he'll itch to move on from Iona...and the NBA may be a more realistic option at 70 - 71 than a premier Power Conference school. But who knows?
One thing for sure, the ball's in Rick's hands at this point--which is where he likes it.

Slick Rick got lucky to recruit these 2 and 3 star players before the COVID-19 era stopped sports in its track.
Try recruiting to play in an empty MSG. My prediction is he takes a pro job within the time it takes to develop a Covid vaccine.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days

Pitino to Iona 2 months 2 weeks ago #385392

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 3647
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days

Pitino to Iona 2 months 2 weeks ago #385396

• Chicago Days
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2982
Makes you wonder why a guy like Pitino--all that drive & talent--has to cheat. Guessing his ID won't let him leave anything to chance.

Pitino to Iona 2 months 2 weeks ago #385406

• redmaninalbany
  • Thank you received: 142
I would think Kentucky vs Pitino (Iona) is not only a MSG draw but also a huge tv draw.
So while Kentucky can get big $$ in any arena, I'm sure they could negotiate a much bigger windfall from the television payout for that battle of the champions.

If Iona is TOP 20 in say 3 years...the challenge to make a Final Four with an "out of nowhere" college could be a tempting reason to stay down the road. We shall see.

Pitino to Iona 2 months 2 weeks ago #385408

• MainMan
  • Thank you received: 523
I already witnessed Iona vs Kentucky at MSG.
It was the 1995 Holiday Festival and Tim Welsh Iona beat Brian Mahoney's SJU (with Felipe and Zendon) in the first round to play in the championship against Pitino's Wildcats.
It was a nightmare.

Pitino to Iona 2 months 2 weeks ago #385409

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 3647

redmaninalbany wrote: I would think Kentucky vs Pitino (Iona) is not only a MSG draw but also a huge tv draw.
So while Kentucky can get big $$ in any arena, I'm sure they could negotiate a much bigger windfall from the television payout for that battle of the champions.

If Iona is TOP 20 in say 3 years...the challenge to make a Final Four with an "out of nowhere" college could be a tempting reason to stay down the road. We shall see.

Huge? Unless Rick attracts top 100 talent, it's a massacre on paper at least. Unless he attracts top 25 talent, its not a tossup game. You really think a national audience would consider this a must see game. I don't.

Top 25 talent isn't coming to iona to play in the MAAC. He is going to scoop enough enough talent to easily get the automatic bid by winning his conference tourney, higher level talent than Cluess did. But Cluess did an amazing job, including recovering from a 2-9 start to win his conference and tourney. Still Pitino will have to go deeper than 1 and done in the tourney before top shelf talent will go there.

I wouldn't bet for or against him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Section3

Pitino to Iona 2 months 2 weeks ago #385411

• Paultzman
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 19125

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight