Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Declining the Big East: Case Study of College of the Holy Cross 3 months 1 week ago #382836

• otis
  • Thank you received: 1393

BrookJersey Redmen wrote: Anthony Fauci M.D. of the CDC, shining star of this whole mess a proud Holy Cross alum, one of their many M.D. alums.

_________

Yep, but he attended The College of Holy Cross before their declined of BE membership. Being an avid sports fan would the lower level athletics at HC now influence theDr. Fauci's decision if he made it today ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by otis.

Declining the Big East: Case Study of College of the Holy Cross 3 months 1 week ago #382841

• Las Vegan
  • Thank you received: 307
Just relaying a conversation I had with two Holy Cross Crusader alums, who had come to Vegas for March Madness viewing and wagering. The subject of Big East came up and their understanding of HC's decision not to join the new conference. Said their were two reasons: the admins didn't want to be associated that closely with SJU, SH, and Providence, on academic grounds . The second reason was an alum, and major donor, Edward Bennett Williams, wanted the emphasis to be on football. They strongly disagreed with the decision. I empathized with them.

Last edit: by Las Vegan.

Declining the Big East: Case Study of College of the Holy Cross 3 months 1 week ago #382847

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 3641

Las Vegan wrote: Just relaying a conversation I had with two Holy Cross Crusader alums, who had come to Vegas for March Madness viewing and wagering. The subject of Big East came up and their understanding of HC's decision not to join the new conference. Said their were two reasons: the admins didn't want to be associated that closely with SJU, SH, and Providence, on academic grounds . The second reason was an alum, and major donor, Edward Bennett Williams, wanted the emphasis to be on football. They strongly disagreed with the decision. I empathized with them.

Its worked pretty well for Georgetown and Villanova and it didn't stop Notre Dame or BC, all better schools. NO WAY Holy Cross would have fit into what the Big East became. I wonder what their basketball team draws? Hundreds?

That's total crap from alums who are elitist. Jesuit hierarchy is tight, and why wouldn't they join a conference on academic grounds when 2 better Jesuit schools already jumped in?

Declining the Big East: Case Study of College of the Holy Cross 3 months 1 week ago #382848

• Las Vegan
  • Thank you received: 307

Beast of the East wrote:

Las Vegan wrote: Just relaying a conversation I had with two Holy Cross Crusader alums, who had come to Vegas for March Madness viewing and wagering. The subject of Big East came up and their understanding of HC's decision not to join the new conference. Said their were two reasons: the admins didn't want to be associated that closely with SJU, SH, and Providence, on academic grounds . The second reason was an alum, and major donor, Edward Bennett Williams, wanted the emphasis to be on football. They strongly disagreed with the decision. I empathized with them.

Its worked pretty well for Georgetown and Villanova and it didn't stop Notre Dame or BC, all better schools. NO WAY Holy Cross would have fit into what the Big East became. I wonder what their basketball team draws? Hundreds?

That's total crap from alums who are elitist. Jesuit hierarchy is tight, and why wouldn't they join a conference on academic grounds when 2 better Jesuit schools already jumped in?

They had a very competitive basketball program in the late seventies, and regularly recruited the CHSAA. Played half their home games in the local municipal arena, 14,000 seat Centrum, and usually played a game at MSG, as part of a doubleheader. I watched them beat Cincinnati, before Iona beat South Carolina, in the waning coaching career of Frank McGuire.

Declining the Big East: Case Study of College of the Holy Cross 3 months 1 week ago #383010

• BrookJersey Redmen
  • Thank you received: 188
According to the article probably not.

Declining the Big East: Case Study of College of the Holy Cross 3 months 1 week ago #383012

• Beast of the East

Las Vegan wrote:

Beast of the East wrote:

They had a very competitive basketball program in the late seventies, and regularly recruited the CHSAA. Played half their home games in the local municipal arena, 14,000 seat Centrum, and usually played a game at MSG, as part of a doubleheader. I watched them beat Cincinnati, before Iona beat South Carolina, in the waning coaching career of Frank McGuire.

The last time they finished a season ranked was 60 years ago. They did make the tournament as a 16th seed in 2016 and won their play in game (which is better than we did in 2019). They were a 13 seed in 2006, not bad for a mid major team in the Patriot conference. From 2001-2007 they made the tournament 4 times, where they lost all 4, but played 4 competitive games.

Declining the Big East: Case Study of College of the Holy Cross 3 months 1 week ago #383052

• BrookJersey Redmen
We can agree to disagree, Beast, about the above comments.

Declining the Big East: Case Study of College of the Holy Cross 3 months 1 week ago #383095

• Beast of the East

BrookJersey Redmen wrote: We can agree to disagree, Beast, about the above comments.

No worries. My son had a great face to face interview with HC. Unlike some, which profess what a great school HC is, the interviewer thanked him and said "..., we'd be lucky to have have you." I don't mean this as an accolade for my son, but as a testimony to how gracious the interviewer was.

It's a rock solid academic school but for obvious reason doesn't check enough boxes when compared to other very good academic Catholic schools. As JSJ stated, at about 3000 kids and high academics, it's the right school for some kids. Glad your child had a great experience there. Jesuits are great teachers.

Your best comparison is to the NESCAC - all great academic schools that are smaller in enrollment. They like to refer to themselves as the little Ivy's, and it's hard to find any fault with Williams, Amherst, Bowdoin, Bates, Colby, Middlebury, Tufts, etc. I'd agree with HC being in that group wholeheartedly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrookJersey Redmen

Last edit: by Beast of the East.

Declining the Big East: Case Study of College of the Holy Cross 3 months 6 days ago #383512

• BrookJersey Redmen
Dr. Fauci brings sanity to this crisis thank God for him.

Fauci being from Regis to HC is not surprising, there is a "pipeline" from Regis to HC, probably because the Jesuits consider HC their "hidden gem", heard that from multiple sources; they consider Georgetown practically a non-Catholic school.

My friend's two sons both of them went to Regis (as did he (not me I couldn't get in there)), one went to HC, other went to UVA (his mom's school) then transferred into HC his junior year. Both on the baseball team.

Declining the Big East: Case Study of College of the Holy Cross 3 months 6 days ago #383589

• BrookJersey Redmen
Holy Cross Ranks No. 2 on ‘10 Best Roman Catholic Colleges in the Country’
USA Today College
February 23rd, 2017

news.holycross.edu/blog/2017/02/23/holy-...eges-in-the-country/

:P B)

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight