Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Jamal Mashburn

Jamal Mashburn 1 week 6 days ago #383214

  • billthetruth
  • billthetruth's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 677
  • Thank you received: 265

Ray Morgan wrote:

SJU85 wrote: The Monster Mash went to Cardinal Hayes and was highly sort after as one of a slew of NYC Blue Chippers in the class of 90. He was Pitino's first big time recruit at Kentucky from outside the area (remember Kentucky was coming off of probation with a reduction in scholarships). Went to the final four his junior year and then went early as a lottery pick to the NBA where he averaged around close to 20 ppg in his career which was cut short by a bad knee.

We could field an all-star team of almosts: Jabbar, Payton, Darius Miles, Mashburn. I need a 5th "almost: to complete the starting 5.

I know we went hard after him. Ah, what could have been.


We could field an all-star team of almosts: Jabbar, Payton, Darius Miles, Mashburn. I need a 5th "almost: to complete the starting 5.


Payton should not be on that team as he wanted to come here badly. We just went with Evander Lewis and Marcus Broadnaux (sp?) over him. That was our call.

I would add Olajuwon to that list. That one hurt badly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJU85

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by billthetruth.

Jamal Mashburn 1 week 6 days ago #383215

  • SJUNC
  • SJUNC's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 339
  • Thank you received: 137

Beast of the East wrote:

Las Vegan wrote:

Ray Morgan wrote:

SJU85 wrote: The Monster Mash went to Cardinal Hayes and was highly sort after as one of a slew of NYC Blue Chippers in the class of 90. He was Pitino's first big time recruit at Kentucky from outside the area (remember Kentucky was coming off of probation with a reduction in scholarships). Went to the final four his junior year and then went early as a lottery pick to the NBA where he averaged around close to 20 ppg in his career which was cut short by a bad knee.

We could field an all-star team of almosts: Jabbar, Payton, Darius Miles, Mashburn. I need a 5th "almost: to complete the starting 5.

I know we went hard after him. Ah, what could have been.


We could field an all-star team of almosts: Jabbar, Payton, Darius Miles, Mashburn. I need a 5th "almost: to complete the starting 5.


Can't top Erving, but I'll suggest Jim McMillian and Mike Maloy


Just imagine if we had Lew Alcindor and Kareem Abdul Jabbar in the same starting 5?


and Roger Murdock

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jamal Mashburn 1 week 5 days ago #383273

  • MainMan
  • MainMan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2408
  • Thank you received: 433
God a forward tandem of Sealy and Mashburn......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jamal Mashburn 1 week 5 days ago #383275

  • Beast of the East
  • Beast of the East's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 11292
  • Thank you received: 3288

MainMan wrote: God a forward tandem of Sealy and Mashburn......


This is such a spilled milk twist on this thread. We are a program that rarely gets their man in term of top tier talent. Maybe we got one over three or four years and sprinkled heavily with transfers - Searcy, Carter, Rencher, etc.

Just about any program can lament over guys that considered their school but chose better programs. Only a very tiny handful of coaches have come in and transformed a high D1 program. Most of those take that success and go elsewhere - Brad Stevens, Mick Cronin, etc

The stuff about Payton is 20-20 hindsight because of what he became. Our staff at the time didn't favor him. He went to Oregon State, not exactly Kentucky or Indiana at the time. No fans were crying at the time they passed on hum.

I remember reading an NBA scout's impression of Olajuwon just before the NBA draft who felt he would make a horrible pro despite what he achieved in college. The review criticized his lateral movement, and speculated that he would have great difficulty scoring in the NBA. That's AFTER his career in college. There are guys every season who breakout, and guys who flop. Our credo for a very long time was to recruit locally, because metro area kids were tough and accustomed to playing against the best. It wasn't until after the Final Four year that Looie was given a budget to recruit nationally.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Beast of the East.

Jamal Mashburn 1 week 5 days ago #383280

  • SJU85
  • SJU85's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2907
  • Thank you received: 647
Others who came out of that HS class with Mashburn that were from NYC include:

Shawnelle Scott (All Hallows, St. John's), Lee Green (Chesire Ct., St. John's), Adrian Autry (Tolentine, Syracuse), Derrick Phelps (CTK, UNC), Brian Reese (Tolentine), Khalid Reeves (CTK, Arizona), Anthony Pelle (Stevenson, Nova before transferring), Robert Phelps (Nazareth?, Providence), Lawrence Pollard (Boys or Jefferson, WVa).

NYC had four McD AA's (Autry, Reese from Tolentine and D. Phelps and Reeves from CTK) and Green was the only one who went to Prep school. Things so much different now with most of the NYC starts prepping.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jamal Mashburn 1 week 5 days ago #383281

  • RM86
  • RM86's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 557
  • Thank you received: 67

Ray Morgan wrote:

SJU85 wrote: The Monster Mash went to Cardinal Hayes and was highly sort after as one of a slew of NYC Blue Chippers in the class of 90. He was Pitino's first big time recruit at Kentucky from outside the area (remember Kentucky was coming off of probation with a reduction in scholarships). Went to the final four his junior year and then went early as a lottery pick to the NBA where he averaged around close to 20 ppg in his career which was cut short by a bad knee.

We could field an all-star team of almosts: Jabbar, Payton, Darius Miles, Mashburn. I need a 5th "almost: to complete the starting 5.

I know we went hard after him. Ah, what could have been.


We could field an all-star team of almosts: Jabbar, Payton, Darius Miles, Mashburn. I need a 5th "almost: to complete the starting 5.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by RM86.

Jamal Mashburn 1 week 5 days ago #383314

  • Ray Morgan
  • Ray Morgan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1863
  • Thank you received: 926

Beast of the East wrote:

MainMan wrote: God a forward tandem of Sealy and Mashburn......


This is such a spilled milk twist on this thread. We are a program that rarely gets their man in term of top tier talent. Maybe we got one over three or four years and sprinkled heavily with transfers - Searcy, Carter, Rencher, etc.

Just about any program can lament over guys that considered their school but chose better programs. Only a very tiny handful of coaches have come in and transformed a high D1 program. Most of those take that success and go elsewhere - Brad Stevens, Mick Cronin, etc

The stuff about Payton is 20-20 hindsight because of what he became. Our staff at the time didn't favor him. He went to Oregon State, not exactly Kentucky or Indiana at the time. No fans were crying at the time they passed on hum.

I remember reading an NBA scout's impression of Olajuwon just before the NBA draft who felt he would make a horrible pro despite what he achieved in college. The review criticized his lateral movement, and speculated that he would have great difficulty scoring in the NBA. That's AFTER his career in college. There are guys every season who breakout, and guys who flop. Our credo for a very long time was to recruit locally, because metro area kids were tough and accustomed to playing against the best. It wasn't until after the Final Four year that Looie was given a budget to recruit nationally.


I think the guy who evaluated Olajuwon switched to scouting baseball for the Braves, and convinced them to waste a number 1 pick on Bo Gentry. Had great power but couldn't hit the curve.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jamal Mashburn 1 week 5 days ago #383337

  • L J S A
  • L J S A's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 6351
  • Thank you received: 2727
Maybe Panther or someone else could chime in, but I remember that Mashburn had a reputation for not trying hard. I'm wondering if he becomes the Mashburn he did if he doesn't play for Pitino.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jamal Mashburn 1 week 4 days ago #383349

  • Ray Morgan
  • Ray Morgan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1863
  • Thank you received: 926

L J S A wrote: Maybe Panther or someone else could chime in, but I remember that Mashburn had a reputation for not trying hard. I'm wondering if he becomes the Mashburn he did if he doesn't play for Pitino.


Didn't the chronic slacker Derrick Caracter play for Pitino? He couldn't get him to change his ways. Sometimes, teenagers just mature into young men on their own and realize there is nothing worse than wasted talent.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jamal Mashburn 1 week 4 days ago #383352

  • Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 25935
  • Thank you received: 17898

Ray Morgan wrote:

L J S A wrote: Maybe Panther or someone else could chime in, but I remember that Mashburn had a reputation for not trying hard. I'm wondering if he becomes the Mashburn he did if he doesn't play for Pitino.


Didn't the chronic slacker Derrick Caracter play for Pitino? He couldn't get him to change his ways. Sometimes, teenagers just mature into young men on their own and realize there is nothing worse than wasted talent.

Yes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray Morgan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight