Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

President Bobby 1 week 6 days ago #390810

• Chris7
  • Thank you received: 177

Sju grad 13 wrote:

RedStormNC wrote: Presidential Search Committee announced

www.stjohns.edu/about/presidential-search

I don’t think this is good news for Dean Simons which in turn maybe bad news for our law school.

Yup, I think they've already decided that he won't be getting the nod. Interesting to see what's next for him, if anything. Hope he stays.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

President Bobby 1 week 5 days ago #390944

• Proud Alumn
  • Thank you received: 28

panther2 wrote: Personally, I would love to see Father Maher return. He knows the school and cares about Athletics.

Oh goodness no, absolutely not Fr. Maher. I think I would stop donating if that were to happen. I spoke to him back when he was here and was fully in support of the Harrington model of zero academic standards and just pile in as many students as possible. That would be a major step backwards.

Dean Simons has done an outstanding job at the Law School. I would be very happy for him to be the University Dean.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Las Vegan, redstorm89

President Bobby 1 week 4 days ago #390986

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 3652
University President in this era is a very tall order.

1. must have an academic leadership background and a vision for the university going forward.
2. must recognize, respect, perpetuate, and grow our mission to fully form young adults in their Catholic faith.
3. must be incredibly charismatic and able to raise funds
4. must be energetic, warm and approachable to both students and alumni.
5. must be capable and cognizant of tight fiscal control, to restrict tuition increases, yet hire the highest quality administrators and faculty.
6. must be able to articulate and execute a vision for St. John's to the university at large and surrounding communities.
7. must sustain the renewal that Dr. Gempeshaw initiated to reinvigorate admissions of Catholic hs students to St. John;s
8. must continue our tradition of providing a lower cost education to the poor and providing a private Catholic college education to qualified disadvantaged students.

Tall order
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, RedStormRising, Class of 72, BrooklynRed

Last edit: by Beast of the East.

President Bobby 1 week 4 days ago #391001

• mjmaherjr
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 4734

Proud Alumn wrote:

panther2 wrote: Personally, I would love to see Father Maher return. He knows the school and cares about Athletics.

Oh goodness no, absolutely not Fr. Maher..

goodbye 30 posts :)

President Bobby 1 week 4 days ago #391033

• redstorm89
  • Thank you received: 79

Proud Alumn wrote:

Oh goodness no, absolutely not Fr. Maher. I think I would stop donating if that were to happen. I spoke to him back when he was here and was fully in support of the Harrington model of zero academic standards and just pile in as many students as possible. That would be a major step backwards.

Dean Simons has done an outstanding job at the Law School. I would be very happy for him to be the University Dean.

During the last weeks of the Norm Roberts Era, I remember father maher preaching at mass at st thomas more chapel defending norm which I found highly inappropriate in a church setting. Perhaps he was towing the company line but it irked me the wrong way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East, redken

President Bobby 1 week 4 days ago #391060

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 3652
With a dwindling number of Vincentian priests there may not a candidate among the clergy suitable for the more complex role than ever before of university president.

To my knowledge Bobby is a devout Catholic, and his outreach to area Catholic schools including guaranteed scholarship money reversed a decades long trend of lower percentage of Catholic students.

I believe the next president will be a layperson with a strong Catholic faith.

Last edit: by Beast of the East.

President Bobby 1 week 3 days ago #391091

• Paultzman
  • Thank you received: 19138
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tonyinfairfield , RedStormNC

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight