Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Political Discussion 1 week 8 hours ago #391518

• Paul Massell
  • Paul Massell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2253
Over the years we've had many political discussions on redmen.com. The "Religion & Politics" (R&P) forum was a popular place until we phased it out due to the exponential level of personal attacks that resulted from political discussions. There were feuds that ensued between individual members that spilled into the other forums. There were also members calling out other members to meet offline for physical settlement of their disputes...

This year we have allowed some political discussion to go unmoderated. When these first started, I made the choice to let our members vent here because of the need for information; the need to have community support and the real need to vent frustrations and anxiety during unprecedented times. (Coronavirus, Stay At Home orders, Businesses Shut down, Murder Hornets, Citizens murdered by police, Riots...)

I figured that NYC was a major personal connection to almost all of our members and was having the most difficult times, literally in the world, in many ways. Personally, I learned things from posts that members made here regarding Covid. And with all of the confusion, and conflicting information, having some trusted voices can lend clarity to wade through it all. And it is American to call out the politicians on the BS they shovel.

But redmen.com is not a political venue. It is also a haven for some who come here to escape the daily grind and the 24/7 news. The "if you don't like a thread, don't read it" sentiment has some merit, but the way the site is used by various members and non-members is not the same. Some members for example, follow the site activity stream on the home page. So the political discussions are front and center for them regardless, including the excerpted text that is included in the Activity Stream posts.

So here is the solution we've come up with: We're creating an OPT-IN ONLY private forum for politics. These threads will not be public or in the activity stream. Any member can join this forum to participate, but if you don't want to participate or get distracted by political discussions, these won't be in your Activity Stream unless you have consciously joined the Politics forum.

The Politics forum is in place and ready to use, but I have not streamlined the process for members to join, so I will need any member who wants to join this forum, to contact me either by private message or email to setup your account to have access to the Politics forum. I will leave this thread temporarily unlocked to answer any questions, if there are any.

To be clear, moving forward, Politics can only be discussed on redmen.com in the Politics forum.

****Edit: 07/03/2020****
This came up again today so to be clear, you need to join the Politics Forum, before the Politics forum will show up in the Forum Index. You also have to be logged into redmen.com to view/post. Contact me directly to join first before you can participate in the politics forum.
“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: espken, mkras99, OhioFan, SJUFAN2, lawmanfan, kranmars, redmannorth, Monte, mjmaherjr, Tonyinfairfield and 12 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Paul Massell.

Political Discussion 1 week 8 hours ago #391524

• SJUFAN2
  • Thank you received: 1123
Moved the NY Times thread to the new opt in forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Massell, OhioFan, IDRAFT, fuchsia, Chicago Days

Political Discussion 1 week 7 hours ago #391537

• mjmaherjr
  • Thank you received: 4734
A glorious day this is
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJUNC, Andrew, Chicago Days, BrooklynRed

Political Discussion 1 week 6 hours ago #391542

• lawmanfan
  • Thank you received: 120

mjmaherjr wrote: A glorious day this is

Says the guy whose profile pic is him on a camel

Political Discussion 6 days 23 hours ago #391594

• mjmaherjr
  • Thank you received: 4734

lawmanfan wrote:

the new sheriff in town :)

Political Discussion 6 days 18 hours ago #391612

• austour
  • Thank you received: 1036
NY Times we barely knew ya for what 100 pages? LOL

Political Discussion 6 days 6 hours ago #391667

• lawmanfan
  • Thank you received: 120

mjmaherjr wrote:

lawmanfan wrote:

the new sheriff in town :)

Hm. does look a lot like you.
Attachments:

Political Discussion 6 days 5 hours ago #391669

• Adam
  • Thank you received: 1210
Awesome. I tried avoiding those topics because I see enough of it elsewhere, but I'm glad they're completely gone now. Also good to still have a private place available for those interested.
The following user(s) said Thank You: section10, Phil G, NCJohnnie

Political Discussion 5 days 21 hours ago #391755

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 3563
1. Where is the Politics Forum?
2. Will it require a different sign in process?
3. If is private will the moderators be impartial?
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 

Political Discussion 5 days 6 hours ago #391818

• OhioFan
  • Thank you received: 419

Class of 72 wrote: 1. Where is the Politics Forum?
2. Will it require a different sign in process?
3. If is private will the moderators be impartial?

1. Click on Index to go the list of forums. Politics is at the bottom.
2. No different sign in, you just need to contact Paul for him to give you access
3. The moderators who participate will be opinionated and argumentative, but we will not break any rules like name calling, abusive language, etc. We will also not wield a big stick to anyone who disagrees with us. FYI, there are some mods on both sides of the argument.
Ubi Caritas, Where charity and love are, God is there.

• Page:
Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthKnight