Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Hang in there

Hang in there 2 months 2 weeks ago #373712

  • Billy Don Ferrell
  • Billy Don Ferrell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Posts: 16
  • Thank you received: 13
I know we are going an absolutely brutal stretch and it’s disheartening after the start we had but good times are coming...I know y’all don’t want me to be the guy that’s says “wait till next year” but here I am anyways... You’ve got to love a roster of , McGriff, Posh, Wusu, Dunn, Williams Jr., Cole, Moore, Earlington, Roberts, and either Steere or Sears, I figure Caraher and one of the bigs will transfer, and CMA will get a grad transfer or another JUCO plus another 20’ recruit and it’s only an added bonus if LJ comes back but I figure he will go overseas, but he’s so close to that’s graduation mark that it would be hard not to come back. Hang in there fellas, I know some are already falling out of the ship..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valgoth, bamafan, romiSJU, RedStormNC, Hatten #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hang in there 2 months 2 weeks ago #373721

  • romiSJU
  • romiSJU's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 421
  • Thank you received: 44
Nice post. Thx!

Jace Clark Bradley wrote: I know we are going an absolutely brutal stretch and it’s disheartening after the start we had but good times are coming...I know y’all don’t want me to be the guy that’s says “wait till next year” but here I am anyways... You’ve got to love a roster of , McGriff, Posh, Wusu, Dunn, Williams Jr., Cole, Moore, Earlington, Roberts, and either Steere or Sears, I figure Caraher and one of the bigs will transfer, and CMA will get a grad transfer or another JUCO plus another 20’ recruit and it’s only an added bonus if LJ comes back but I figure he will go overseas, but he’s so close to that’s graduation mark that it would be hard not to come back. Hang in there fellas, I know some are already falling out of the ship..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hang in there 2 months 2 weeks ago #373725

  • newsman13
  • newsman13's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1148
  • Thank you received: 143

romiSJU wrote: Nice post. Thx!

Jace Clark Bradley wrote: I know we are going an absolutely brutal stretch and it’s disheartening after the start we had but good times are coming...I know y’all don’t want me to be the guy that’s says “wait till next year” but here I am anyways... You’ve got to love a roster of , McGriff, Posh, Wusu, Dunn, Williams Jr., Cole, Moore, Earlington, Roberts, and either Steere or Sears, I figure Caraher and one of the bigs will transfer, and CMA will get a grad transfer or another JUCO plus another 20’ recruit and it’s only an added bonus if LJ comes back but I figure he will go overseas, but he’s so close to that’s graduation mark that it would be hard not to come back. Hang in there fellas, I know some are already falling out of the ship..

No one is falling out of the ship...or leaving like trapped rats. There isn't a difference maker or stud in any of the names you mention. Without studs, you lose. Period.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jerseyshorejohnny, Mike Zaun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hang in there 2 months 2 weeks ago #373727

  • frank
  • frank's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 266
  • Thank you received: 38
How could we win, when we give wide open 3pt. shots ,foul so much and get out rebounded ?????,Wide open and fouling , what is wrong with this picture?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hang in there 2 months 2 weeks ago #373755

  • IDRAFT
  • IDRAFT's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 447
  • Thank you received: 562
I suspect that anyone expecting a better outcome next year is going to be very disappointed. The 2020 recruiting class does not include the level of talent needed for a quick jump. Look at UCONN. It's Hurley's second year and the team is 10-7 with a weaker overall schedule than SJU plays. CMA's current recruiting "prize", Alexander, compares to Jalen Gaffney who plays twelve minutes a game and averages two points a game as a freshman on that 10-7 AAC team. Alexander is a solid recruit and projects as a good BE player if he stays four years. He is not going to turn around a last place BE team. The other "prize", Cole, compares to Bashir Ahmed in JUCO rankings. I defended Ahmed here when he played at SJU as he took plenty of heat for not being better than he was. Dialing back expectations on Cole would be very prudent.

Now that doesn't mean that I'm saying CMA cannot succeed, not at all. But everything I see indicates a slow process. And there is nothing surprising about that. Again, look at UCONN. Look at Rutgers, it was a slow four year build. After the cumulative failures of the program the idea of patience is tough to take but it's hard to see another way. What top 2020 recruits are out there who SJU is involved with at this point? Zero.

And so I hope CMA, who is not used to losing, can also have patience. There will already be four new faces next year. The idea of pushing out guys to bring in more mid to low level new talent seems foolish to me. Be happy with the 2020 recruiting class, which is good if not eye popping, and save your scholarships. Sears is a senior next year. Caraher is a redshirt junior next year and an excellent student. Surely he could transfer without penalty after 2021. I don't see who SJU is bringing in for 2020 at this late date who will be worth the roster imbalance the move will create.

Then if you can land a top 100 kid or two as part of the 2021 class you are heading toward being a real BE program. In the meantime about all an SJU fan can do is try to stay healthy and last long enough to see a team that doesn't play in the Wednesday night tournament game. Maybe even win a Thursday game? We can dream.

After watching CMA coach and also seeing the initial class I actually think he can succeed here. The sooner the better but think four years not two. My biggest fear is that the ninnies in the Admin understand and give him the time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hang in there 2 months 2 weeks ago #373769

  • MJDinkins
  • MJDinkins's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 9636
  • Thank you received: 2656

IDRAFT wrote: I suspect that anyone expecting a better outcome next year is going to be very disappointed. The 2020 recruiting class does not include the level of talent needed for a quick jump. Look at UCONN. It's Hurley's second year and the team is 10-7 with a weaker overall schedule than SJU plays. CMA's current recruiting "prize", Alexander, compares to Jalen Gaffney who plays twelve minutes a game and averages two points a game as a freshman on that 10-7 AAC team. Alexander is a solid recruit and projects as a good BE player if he stays four years. He is not going to turn around a last place BE team. The other "prize", Cole, compares to Bashir Ahmed in JUCO rankings. I defended Ahmed here when he played at SJU as he took plenty of heat for not being better than he was. Dialing back expectations on Cole would be very prudent.


Why compare Cole to Ahmed simply because of where they're ranked? That's like saying Shamorie Ponds should've fared similar or worst than Dominic Cheek (former 5-star Villanova Wildcat) because Ponds was rated a few slots lower than Cheek.

I'm not sure what we'll get from Cole, but per game clips and stats, it seems he has a better floor game than Ahmed (Ahmed was a black hole, IMO). Now, will that translate to to major D-1 ball? We'll see. I just have a sense Cole will be the better player. Will that be enough to help elevate our program? Time will tell. Let's hope there's sufficient enough talent on the team.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hang in there 2 months 2 weeks ago #373772

  • JohnnyFan
  • JohnnyFan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3872
  • Thank you received: 2599

Jace Clark Bradley wrote: I know we are going an absolutely brutal stretch and it’s disheartening after the start we had but good times are coming...I know y’all don’t want me to be the guy that’s says “wait till next year” but here I am anyways... You’ve got to love a roster of , McGriff, Posh, Wusu, Dunn, Williams Jr., Cole, Moore, Earlington, Roberts, and either Steere or Sears, I figure Caraher and one of the bigs will transfer, and CMA will get a grad transfer or another JUCO plus another 20’ recruit and it’s only an added bonus if LJ comes back but I figure he will go overseas, but he’s so close to that’s graduation mark that it would be hard not to come back. Hang in there fellas, I know some are already falling out of the ship..


McGriff is an unknown. More likely to be a work in progress while playing limited minutes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by JohnnyFan.

Hang in there 2 months 4 days ago #375697

  • T & J
  • T & J's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 89
  • Thank you received: 20

Billy Don Ferrell wrote: I know we are going an absolutely brutal stretch and it’s disheartening after the start we had but good times are coming...I know y’all don’t want me to be the guy that’s says “wait till next year” but here I am anyways... You’ve got to love a roster of , McGriff, Posh, Wusu, Dunn, Williams Jr., Cole, Moore, Earlington, Roberts, and either Steere or Sears, I figure Caraher and one of the bigs will transfer, and CMA will get a grad transfer or another JUCO plus another 20’ recruit and it’s only an added bonus if LJ comes back but I figure he will go overseas, but he’s so close to that’s graduation mark that it would be hard not to come back. Hang in there fellas, I know some are already falling out of the ship..


I'll expect some improvement, but not much.
Posh, wusu, and even mcGriff (hurt), are all going to be first year players.
Cole and moore are juco transfers, both are good at juco level, but we'll see at div I level. Hoping cole is a Hamilton type.
Next.years returning players will be better, just hope Dunn stops those silly shots at the end of games.

Looking forward to 21-22 season
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, RedStormNC, Mike Zaun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hang in there 2 months 4 days ago #375726

  • Monte
  • Monte's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5809
  • Thank you received: 2826

MJDinkins wrote:

IDRAFT wrote: I suspect that anyone expecting a better outcome next year is going to be very disappointed. The 2020 recruiting class does not include the level of talent needed for a quick jump. Look at UCONN. It's Hurley's second year and the team is 10-7 with a weaker overall schedule than SJU plays. CMA's current recruiting "prize", Alexander, compares to Jalen Gaffney who plays twelve minutes a game and averages two points a game as a freshman on that 10-7 AAC team. Alexander is a solid recruit and projects as a good BE player if he stays four years. He is not going to turn around a last place BE team. The other "prize", Cole, compares to Bashir Ahmed in JUCO rankings. I defended Ahmed here when he played at SJU as he took plenty of heat for not being better than he was. Dialing back expectations on Cole would be very prudent.


Why compare Cole to Ahmed simply because of where they're ranked? That's like saying Shamorie Ponds should've fared similar or worst than Dominic Cheek (former 5-star Villanova Wildcat) because Ponds was rated a few slots lower than Cheek.

I'm not sure what we'll get from Cole, but per game clips and stats, it seems he has a better floor game than Ahmed (Ahmed was a black hole, IMO). Now, will that translate to to major D-1 ball? We'll see. I just have a sense Cole will be the better player. Will that be enough to help elevate our program? Time will tell. Let's hope there's sufficient enough talent on the team.


Agree on Ahmed. Never a huge fan of his game. Hope Cole is much better.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hang in there 1 month 2 weeks ago #378657

  • Hatten #1
  • Hatten #1's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5
  • Thank you received: 0

Billy Don Ferrell wrote: I know we are going an absolutely brutal stretch and it’s disheartening after the start we had but good times are coming...I know y’all don’t want me to be the guy that’s says “wait till next year” but here I am anyways... You’ve got to love a roster of , McGriff, Posh, Wusu, Dunn, Williams Jr., Cole, Moore, Earlington, Roberts, and either Steere or Sears, I figure Caraher and one of the bigs will transfer, and CMA will get a grad transfer or another JUCO plus another 20’ recruit and it’s only an added bonus if LJ comes back but I figure he will go overseas, but he’s so close to that’s graduation mark that it would be hard not to come back. Hang in there fellas, I know some are already falling out of the ship..


Our day is coming soon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Moderators: espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsmkras99OhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight